Bucket List

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 12:35 (3632 days ago)

So, there have been some friends, military brethren, who have passed on from this world, who have become a reminder that I shouldn't have a bucket list, but still I do. One of the items is a big game animal with a traditional muzzleloader, I currently do not own one, but a very close second (virtual tie), is to do the same thing with a handgun, which I do happen to own. Now, I have been unsuccessful in my hunting endeavors since leaving Alaska, due in large part to my lack of being in the best shape I can, due in part to me being not the best of woodsman. So I have a cow elk tag for a late hunt here, first week of December, in my head, I want to leave the rifle at home, and try to blood my FA 454, my heart says another year of tag soup, take the rifle and increase the odds. I know as long as I bring the rifle, I will never fulfill my dream of being a true handgun hunter. I am walking 4-6 days a week, trying to increase my distance, riding my bicycle, spending more time on the mountain. I hate that I only have a 5 day season, so, I have 6 weeks or so to decide. On the plus side, I see an increase in 454 trigger time.

Dave

Hunt like Skeeter did/ bring the rifle, but if the chance

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 13:42 (3632 days ago) @ Dave B

for a handgun shot presents itself...Glad to hear you are getting in shape..me too.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

You know

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 17:19 (3632 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have tried that, and it seems ever time, I find some reason to use the rifle. In all likelihood, I will hunt one day with just the Freedom Arms, then pack the rifle along for the other 4 days. Thinking just having the 454 will be akin to just packing a muzzleloader or a bow, and modern version of the Mt Man. Just wish some magnum pistol powder would start showing up, I am down to less than 2 lbs of both H110 and 2400, and the 454 marches through both pretty quick. Slowly getting my act together, I'm walking, now I need to control the eatin'.

plants & protein is working for me.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 18:16 (3632 days ago) @ Dave B

30 pounds gone so far...walking and cardio/core workouts...;-)

--

Wow, good for you!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 18:22 (3632 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have been reading a fair amount concerning the Paleo diet, a friend has thus far lost over 50lbs. I know I have a sugar/chocolate addiction, just one more thing to break, that and my weekend 6 pack.

the most helpful thing for me is I didn't quit anything

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 18:31 (3632 days ago) @ Dave B

I just cut WAY back on booze, bread, sugar products,& skip desert. Substitute a handful of mixed nuts for desert or a snack etc.

--

Happy to hear it is working

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 18:52 (3632 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Been worried about you the past months, and you remain in my prayers. I have cut way back on the sweets, bread will be tougher, drinking is much easier. I don't eat much bad or processed food, I just love food and hate exercise!

Way to go!

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 20:18 (3632 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Just blew my right rotator cuff... so this will be the autumn of re-learning to shoot a pistol left handed. Life is full of surprises, ain't it?

Oh, No. Peggy's gonna be bucking hay...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 21:55 (3631 days ago) @ Sarge

Life is interesting, dang it.

--

Bucket List

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 17:40 (3632 days ago) @ Dave B

I decided to go handgun only in 1997. Been doing it ever since. Once you make the decision to do so, your hunting strategy changes. You'll start hunting more like a bow hunter. I'll warn you in advance though, there are days when you see that monster (whitetail in my case) buck out of sane handgun range, never to be seen again, but that's part of the hunt.

That is the mindset

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 18:17 (3632 days ago) @ Wildcat

I have bowhunted in the past, until shoulder problems put a damper on my shooting. I hope to get comfortable out to the75 yard mark. My thought is that my physical conditioning, my stalking skills, and my choice of hunting area will play a bigger part than my gun selection.

Ive never shot a deer with a revolver (or an auto) I have...

by cas, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 19:04 (3632 days ago) @ Dave B

...taken a few with single shot pistols. But without fail, if I have had a rifle, or scoped pistol with me, the revolver never got used. Several of them would have been been easy revolver shots. Even a time where the iron sighted pistol would have been EASIER to make the shot with than the scoped one, the deer was so close and in cover. Yet it just never happens. And every time I kick myself.

Bucket List

by Fowler, Friday, October 17, 2014, 06:52 (3631 days ago) @ Dave B

Yup the handgun hunters paradox, pack a rifle, hope for the revolver shot but then the elk is 25 yards away in the timber and you can't set the rifle down without blowing the opportunity so you just go ahead and shoot the elk with your rifle.

I found if you want to handgun hunt you have to leave the rifle in the truck or better yet the safe. I have a trophy mule deer hunt coming up and I am torn, I don't know the county, so the rifle is coming along and I have decided to use it situationally. Most of this hunt will be spot and stalk and I really want to use the handgun only, but after 12 years of building points up to get the tag I sure don't want miss out if the country is just too open to have a good chance to get in close.

Good luck with your hunt.

Thank you

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, October 17, 2014, 10:17 (3631 days ago) @ Fowler

Which unit did you get drawn for? You're in Utah if memory serves me? Mule deer can be crafty, especially in open country.

Thank you

by Fowler, Friday, October 17, 2014, 19:30 (3631 days ago) @ Dave B

No I am in Denver. I drew unit 21 3rd season over on the Utah state line near Rangely. Should be a good unit to try and get a mature buck with a handgun. If I shoot one with a rifle it will take a real monster, or at least that is my thought process right now. Once I get there and see how it is stacking up things may change.

The question to answer is "Why do I hunt?"

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, October 17, 2014, 09:27 (3631 days ago) @ Dave B

Do you hunt to eat, for the challenge, to enjoy the outdoors, to get something to brag about, or is there some other reason. THAT decides which tool you use. Once you make the decision, then you can have a peace with it as it is made for the right reason.

I have been known to change the reason I went out several times during the week...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Well definitely

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, October 17, 2014, 10:19 (3631 days ago) @ Hobie

The First and third, kind of the second, although my lack of skill always guarantees it's a challenge, and definitely not the third.

Bucket List

by Jared, Friday, October 17, 2014, 21:42 (3630 days ago) @ Dave B

So, there have been some friends, military brethren, who have passed on from this world, who have become a reminder that I shouldn't have a bucket list, but still I do. One of the items is a big game animal with a traditional muzzleloader, I currently do not own one, but a very close second (virtual tie), is to do the same thing with a handgun, which I do happen to own. Now, I have been unsuccessful in my hunting endeavors since leaving Alaska, due in large part to my lack of being in the best shape I can, due in part to me being not the best of woodsman. So I have a cow elk tag for a late hunt here, first week of December, in my head, I want to leave the rifle at home, and try to blood my FA 454, my heart says another year of tag soup, take the rifle and increase the odds. I know as long as I bring the rifle, I will never fulfill my dream of being a true handgun hunter. I am walking 4-6 days a week, trying to increase my distance, riding my bicycle, spending more time on the mountain. I hate that I only have a 5 day season, so, I have 6 weeks or so to decide. On the plus side, I see an increase in 454 trigger time.

Dave

I have killed over dozen deer and hogs with handguns while a rifle is within easy reach or slung over my shoulder. If I was going on a rare or once in a lifetime hunt I would probably have a rifle with me at all times. I consider myself a handgun hunter, but use a rifle when I need to. The last few hogs I have shot were with Rifles because of the low light and the need for a scope. So if you set your mind to it, it is very easy to shoot something with a handgun when a rifle is present.

The last deer I killed came up from behind the stand. I pulled the TLA up and had it cocked, then I looked and saw my #1 .35 Whelen setting there all lonely since it had never killed anything. I quietly payed the TLA down and shot her with the rifle. The TLA had taken a doe out of the same stand at almost the exact same spot the previous year. It was the rifles turn.

I really enjoy using different guns for hunting. When I was young I always thought I would be like my dad and grandfather and use one rifle for years.

My best year hunting I shot 12 Deer and hogs in about 3 months. The first 7 were with 7 different guns and 7 shots. 3pistols and 4 rifles. After that we got into several groups of hogs and had multiple shots fired.

Bucket List

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, October 18, 2014, 04:49 (3630 days ago) @ Dave B
edited by Bob Hatfield, Saturday, October 18, 2014, 04:54

I will be using this in a month or so to take some meat. Probably a farm deer. I can hit a bird in the eye flying offhand with it. But I always have a backup in the form of a Blackhawk with XTPs and 2400.

[image]

Sweet!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, October 18, 2014, 09:19 (3630 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I like that.

Sweet!

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, October 18, 2014, 14:32 (3630 days ago) @ Dave B

Believe it or not this is just a 65 grain load

[image]

Oh I believe

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, October 18, 2014, 14:58 (3630 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I have shot Dad's old TC Hawken with target loads at dusk, fire breathing dragon when loaded with Goex 2F.

Great photos Bob.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 07:08 (3629 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

For me, the management of a flintlock hunting makes the hunt as much of a challenge as using a recurve bow and shooting instinctive.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Bucket List

by Byron, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 15:46 (3629 days ago) @ Dave B

I'm thinking Nicole Kidman and Danica Patrick at the same time for my bucket list....

Byron

My oh My

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 15:52 (3629 days ago) @ Byron

You are ambitious!

Bucket List

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, October 20, 2014, 16:53 (3628 days ago) @ Byron

I'd be playing "Convict and the Warden's wife with either of those

Bob

RSS Feed of thread