Overcast, cool day.......

by Otony, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 11:01 (3634 days ago)

.........and we are going to butcher turkeys. Got the burner set up with a 40 quart pot for scalding water. Got the knife and cleaver sharpened. Got cats to watch closely, make sure we are doing it right.

We butchered the smallest bird on Sunday as a trial run. Darned if she isn't bigger than ANY turkey I've ever bought. Now our biggest bird I honestly don't think would fit in the oven. We will cut it down into portions. Gonna deep fry one bird this Thanksgiving, which will be our first stab at that method. Also going to smoke one. We have nine all together, so we can play around a bit. Next year I'll raise a dozen.

Also bought two pigs a week ago. Both are at the butcher now. Mmmmm, pig, the Delight of Allah!

Otony

Neat!

by brionic @, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 13:51 (3634 days ago) @ Otony

Deep frying yields great results when done right.

Start looking for the best source for peanut oil now. You'll need a lot, and it isn't cheap, but it is the best and most delicious way to fry 'em.

Neat!

by Otony, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 16:17 (3634 days ago) @ brionic

I was thinking on the peanut oil part. We have Costco, also Cash & Carry about an hour away., those are two likely sources. But I intend to check the local groceries for sales.

Didn't really consider the amount., but yeah, that's a whole lot. Do you strain it and rebottle it for later use? I imagine that sounds dumb, but I've never done a deep fried turkey.

Otony

We've had good luck with costco

by brionic @, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 17:48 (3634 days ago) @ Otony

Got two big containers of coconut butter there for cheaper than a single smaller jar from the local markets.

Re: reusing: There's a pro/con, essentially, no problem, cool/strain/freeze, vs. no way, hydrogenation etc. I have a good idea I'd reuse it were I to drop several large bills on oil.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/668056

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil....

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/reusing-frying-oil-or

Pictures and drool inducing descriptions of the feast(s) when they happen, please.

So I'm thinking (uh-oh).......

by Otony, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 19:01 (3634 days ago) @ brionic

That we might just fry up a few chickens and sausages to boot! Heck, everybody likes turkey, chicken, and sausage, right?

Good info there, sir. I did quite a bit of reading on the subject and might have a handle on it.

Fried hot dogs anyone?

Otony

We tried two.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 08:10 (3633 days ago) @ Otony

The first was a mess due to "somebody" forgetting that a body submerged in a liquid will displace an equal volume of said liquid. At least there was no need to call the local FD.

The second was much more successful.

Both were very tasty.

We had also read somewhere that potatoes fried in the oil after the turkey would help clarify the oil. Not too sure they helped but we got some deep fried taters out of the deal.

Overcast, cool day.......

by jgt, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 10:38 (3633 days ago) @ Otony

The one thing to remember is to thaw the turkey to room temp through and through, then pat dry of all water/melted ice. Otherwise when the turkey is added to the hot oil it will snap-crackle-and pop all over the cook. This is usually accompanied with vaporized oil that will burn and could also burn the cook. You have more than likely read about this in your research, but it can't be over stressed. Think of it the way you think of gun safety. Good luck and enjoy.

RSS Feed of thread