Please school me on the Remington 1100, if you will...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 10:56 (3634 days ago)

What can you tell me, good, bad, ugly, indifferent, brilliant, etc, about the Remington 1100 in 12 bore? What parts would one want to have squirreled away "just in case"?

So far it would appear from my limited digging and inquiry that a few o-rings for the gas system, perhaps a spare extractor and firing pin and a bolt handle in case the original should somehow get dumped in the middle of the woods somewhere are things to have on hand. What say the cognoscenti of the forum on this matter?

Check here, Paul...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 11:33 (3634 days ago) @ Paul

Especially for posts from 'Virginian'. The guy is an experienced Remington mechanic and has forgotten more about Remington autos than I'll ever know.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=55

I have a Trap Model

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 13:05 (3634 days ago) @ Paul

It has never failed me, have changed the O rings, that is all. I don't shoot it near as much now that I have a Red Label, but it is still a fine shotgun, and killed many a duck for me.

I sure love my old 11-87 Premier...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 13:26 (3634 days ago) @ Dave B

which as I understand it, is basically just an 1100 with a tweaked gas system and heavier extractor.

Dinosaur Days.

by JLF @, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 14:43 (3634 days ago) @ Paul

Back in the 80s when I had my shop, most days were spent cleaning/fixing Remington 870s 1100s, and A5s of different makes. As I recall, the trigger groups on the 870 and 1100 were identical. Easy peasy to remove, replace parts, work on, etc. But standard practice with an 1100 on every cleaning job was a new gas ring. We kept a cardboard box full of them on the bench. Very little else ever went wrong with them or the 870s. Still the best shotgun bang for the buck. IMO.

The farmers, ranchers, and pumpers would bring theirs in once a year whether it needed cleaning or not.:-D Even remotely clean would require a complete strip down of every part on the gun. It was good OJT.

JLF

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 19:46 (3634 days ago) @ Paul

Bought one new back in 1964. Never had one bit of trouble with it. Used it a lot in the north east hardwoods then even more in Wyoming on Sage Grouse. Has a modified choke. Did not have screw in choke tubes back when I bought it. Great shotgun.

Art

by uncowboy, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 19:58 (3634 days ago) @ Art

I have a few and learned to shoot with them Killed my first deer with one. Never broke one. My first gun has a large nick in the O ring from me when I was a kid and it still works today. I would keep an extra set of o rings and that's about all.
A Remington mechanic told me to clean and lube the gas tube with Hobies #9. I
never used Hobies for a lube but it has kept my guns clean and prevented buildup. J.Michael

Hobie's grateful for that !!!!!

by Norm, Thursday, October 16, 2014, 09:01 (3632 days ago) @ uncowboy

:-D

"Hobie's grateful for that !!!!!" Yes indeed.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, October 17, 2014, 09:28 (3631 days ago) @ Norm

Use of Hobie's has funded my retirement...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Thanks, guys. The feedback is greatly appreciated.

by Paul ⌂, Friday, October 17, 2014, 10:01 (3631 days ago) @ Paul

One of the older members of our local gun club has offered me his 1100, time will tell if it goes through or not. He's in very bad health and currently the Army is requiring all paperwork be done in person in the nation's capitol. Unless the national shooting federation steps in to help, there's no way to do the legal transfer. Then there's the matter of cost, he's offering it below market cost for similar shotguns, but still over $1,000 more than I can scratch together right now. If it's in decent shape it'd be a great deal (for HERE). Time, as they say, will tell. We'll see what the federation has to say about it and then I'll see if he can give me time to pay it off (or his heirs, perhaps - he's really bad off physically)

Dinosaur Days.

by Eagle Point @, Nocona, Tx, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 15:18 (3629 days ago) @ JLF

Hello JLF my range is open any time you get up this way. I Heard from Billy W you might be moving.

RSS Feed of thread