45 acp cylinder in Blackhawk - anybody played with one?

by stonewalrus, Saturday, October 11, 2014, 11:40 (3637 days ago)

I am just curious what you can get out of it accuracy and velocity wise. I bought one and fitted it to my 7 1/2" Blackhawk. I have fired it for function and where it hits to the sights relative to 45 Colt but that is it.

I have 2 B-Hawks like that

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, October 11, 2014, 12:11 (3637 days ago) @ stonewalrus

one made up like yours, one a factory convertible.

I even had a cylinder made up for a SAA Colt, which was an intriguing exercise in exasperation.

Everything seems to work OK in the Rugers. Accuracy, for you, should be no worse than with the larger case, and if the cylinder mouths are not cut small, you should see very good accuracy. It's like an extremely long freebore.

But now you've piqued my interest. I've not had the chrono out for a long time and I need to see what kind of fpses I get. Closest I could compare might be with the XD tactical as it has the longest barrel.

the cylinger-barrel gap acts like a ported barrel....

by Don Sikes @, Vera Cruz, Missouri, Saturday, October 11, 2014, 13:40 (3637 days ago) @ Miles

so think of an XD or a 1911 with a ported barrel compaired to a non ported barrel and you'll get a more accurate estimation of muzzle velocity... I used to carry my Ruger Sheriff's model (3.75" barrel) with an ACP cylinder around my ranch when I lived in Texas... at the time I had more ACP ammo than "long" Colts... so it was an obvious choice for me.

I knew they were a pussycat to shoot. I figured acp was

by stonewalrus, Saturday, October 11, 2014, 17:45 (3637 days ago) @ Don Sikes

Cheaper to plink with and now with my 45 XDS I have good reason to keep plenty of 45 acp around.

I knew they were a pussycat to shoot. I figured acp was

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 19:31 (3634 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Have the 5.5 inch Ruger Bisley convertible. Only tried Winchester White box ACP and that was very accurate. Had the Colt cylinder reamed out to 452.5 for cast but did not bother with the ACP. It seems as tight as the Colt before reaming. Both cylinders are veray accurate with their respective loads. No idea about velocity.

tell me about the cylinder you did for the colt? i have a

by cable, Saturday, October 11, 2014, 14:06 (3637 days ago) @ Miles

third gen new frontier that i was pondering getting a 45 cap cylinder for

Everything depends on 'tolerances'.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, October 11, 2014, 14:24 (3637 days ago) @ cable

This is from 12 years ago, or thereabouts

http://www.milesfortis.com/b&jguns/pistols/45.htm

The particular revolver is gone, but I still have the cylinder.
When I feel up to it, I may fit the cylinder to my other SAA

thanks !

by cable, Saturday, October 11, 2014, 14:57 (3637 days ago) @ Miles

:-)

My first Blackhawk...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 08:17 (3633 days ago) @ stonewalrus

was a 7-1/2" convertible. The ACP's shoot as good as I can but I have never measured velocity.

As something of a stunt, I once used this Blackhawk in our Combat League. Most of the course of fire was pretty straightforward but it got interesting during the reload round where I had to swap cylinders....

I think if I had to I could get along pretty well with

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 21:48 (3633 days ago) @ Hoot

My Springfield XDS 45 and my Blackhawk with the acp cylinder.

RSS Feed of thread