One of Maine's many Lighthouses

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 20:33 (3647 days ago)

[image]

[image]

Spiritual imagery

by cubrock, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 06:16 (3646 days ago) @ Creeker

Those northeastern lighthouses really make vivid imagery for the spiritual metaphor of a lighthouse being a beacon in the storm. Especially on a gray day like in your picture. Very neat to see. Thank you for sharing!

The song says: I thank God for the Lighthouse

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 07:23 (3646 days ago) @ cubrock

Indeed! (NM)

by cubrock, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 07:49 (3646 days ago) @ Creeker

Your photo brings back some memories...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 10:15 (3646 days ago) @ Creeker

For four months in 1973, I manned the old fog signal station on the shores of the Straits of Mackinac. Just me and an old German Shepherd named Elmo. The accomadatons were "spartan" and I'm being generous with that description. I fished, and read, and drank...everyday. And that's about all I have to say about it.

Under the right circumstances

by cubrock, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 12:00 (3646 days ago) @ pokynojoe

that could be a nice job for a season, if a man needed some solitude and time to reflect. Could get old in a hurry, under the wrong circumstances.

which begs the question......

by Otony, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 13:04 (3646 days ago) @ pokynojoe

.........what did you drink?

Otony

very picturesque

by bj @, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 20:23 (3646 days ago) @ Creeker

and that one is barely in Maine.

Can't really tell from the photo but that lighthouse is on an island that is something like 100 feet offshore. (My wife and I were there 3 weeks ago.)

Maine is known for lighthouses and there are a lot of them even though some states have more. Most of the Maine lighthouses are on islands that you can't get to easily. We did manage to find a few that we could see up close but we didn't get to go inside any of them. I thought that was odd since on the Oregon coast there were numerous lighthouses that you could go inside. I was impressed that many of the lighthouses in Maine were very old, including one somewhere that was commissioned by George Washington.

We drove all the way to Bar Harbor. Many of the towns we visited were crowded and choked with gift shops. We got off the beaten path at a few places and found lobster shacks where we could eat without the crowds. I managed to eat seafood for lunch and dinner every day except for one meal. Lobster rolls might be common but I think they're great.

Probably the same one.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Thursday, October 02, 2014, 21:16 (3646 days ago) @ bj

i lived about a 5-minute-walk from there in the mid-eighties

by edwardyoung, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 20:45 (3644 days ago) @ Creeker

while I was stationed at Pease AFB, NH.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane

RSS Feed of thread