Short barreled 22 revolvers

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 19:20 (3653 days ago)

If I were to buy a S&W J Frame 2 inch barrel would a magnum be much better then the various hyper velocity long rifles? I have Yellow Jackets, Stingers, Aquila Super Maximum and various others. Seems to me I would get a bunch of unburned powder and a very loud report without much more power.

Art

I may be wrong but...

by rob @, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 19:42 (3653 days ago) @ Art

I think you'd still get better velocity with the Magnum and you have more traditional style bullets from FMJ flat nose bullets to lead core expanding hollow points. Most slow burning rifle powders are burned within the first couple inches of the barrel and there is nothing slow about .22 Magnum powder. I guess it depends on if what you are doing with the revolver would be stretching the limits of the .22lr already. Either one would be a great little gun.

I think I've seen published tests

by bj @, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 20:07 (3653 days ago) @ Art

Maybe some google searching would come up with something.

I thought I remembered that the ballistics were very close between the best .22LR and the .22WMR, and neither one is particularly good.

The construction of the 22 mag bullets is supposed to

by stonewalrus, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 20:11 (3653 days ago) @ Art

be more like a centerfire bullet so it is not just velocity it is also bullet construction.

The construction of the 22 mag bullets is supposed to

by Fowler, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 20:24 (3653 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I know Fermin told me to not discount the 22mag snubbies, he has seen what they do first hand and was always very impressed. He said it was pretty close to te effectiveness of standard 38sp loads in snubbies, today's +P and better bullets change that up some but he said to never discount them...

easier to buy mags that LRs now... several experienced

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 22:10 (3653 days ago) @ Art
edited by Rob Leahy, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 22:28

ex LEO types I know have all recommended the .22 mag in a 2" J or other lwt gun.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 23:35 (3653 days ago) @ Art

Personally, the .380 with ball is as low as I'll go for a defense round. But here are some results if you're interested in them-

http://beckertactical.blogspot.com/2013/05/22-magnum-ammo-tests.html

by uncowboy, Friday, September 26, 2014, 08:23 (3652 days ago) @ Sarge

The 22 mag in a small bbl revolver is very loud. I am talking very painful loud. The 22lr CCI Stingers are still the fastest of the hyper vel rim fires and I have killed medium game with them. Now if your talking personal defense I would rethink the rim fire decision . With your personal protection you should never look to the minimum, Rather look to the best and make the investment. Believe me that it is an uneasy feeling finding yourself in a bad situation with a gun that all of a sudden you lost all your confidence in being able to get yourself out. Been there! That being said You CAN carry a bigger gun when you decide that that is what is needed.
MY .02 worth. j.Michael

by jgt, Friday, September 26, 2014, 08:35 (3652 days ago) @ Art
edited by jgt, Friday, September 26, 2014, 08:40

I use to tell people CCI Stingers were a lot better than 22 mags in revolvers with barrels under nine inches because the barrels were too short to get the benefit of the magnum ammunition. I based that on shooting over my chronograph. I no longer do that because I have learned it is very hard to get accurate reading of .22 ammo on most chronographs. You need a good chronograph and some good conditions to get readings with trustworthy results. Today the makers have changed the ammo used by the self defense market so my results would not be up to date anyway. 22 magnum is never as good in a handgun as it is in a rifle, but that is true of any centerfire round also. It doesn't mean you should not use it in a handgun if it is a round that is up to the task. Today I just warn people to research it so they choose the best available load for their use. For myself I still use 22 magnums in rifles only and CCI Stingers or Velociters in handguns.

by passing thru, Friday, September 26, 2014, 21:12 (3652 days ago) @ Art

My Smith chonoed an average 912 fps with Fed HP bulk pack LR. Pretty sure a WMR would beat that.
But the LR was fine for purpose.

RSS Feed of thread