S&W coming to Nashville indoor range/gun shop, so

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Wednesday, September 17, 2014, 20:39 (3661 days ago)
edited by RidinLou, Wednesday, September 17, 2014, 20:44

Since they are saying one can test drive what they have to sell, I'm thinking S&W M&P PRO 5" barrel in 9 MM piques my interest.

Do NOT care to discuss caliber, only whether those here think I will notice a difference the two barrel lengths on that model. I plan to shoot it a bunch over the rest of my life barring unforeseen circumstances. Shooting some in competition, NOT to win, just to improve my skill level

Of course I can save money going to a Model 92 from one of the manufacturers.

What say ye of your opinions (though there may not be anyone here willing to express their opinion (yeah right))?

Since you'll have an increase in velocity

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, September 17, 2014, 21:10 (3661 days ago) @ RidinLou

you'll have more KE downrange, and depending on bullet selection, I always like more KE with 9mm.

The big difference noted will be recoil control.

S&W coming to Nashville indoor range/gun shop, so

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, September 17, 2014, 22:04 (3661 days ago) @ RidinLou

I don't know about S&W but I can shoot my XDM 5.25 better than the shorter versions. If S&W haden't taken so long to come out with the 5+" guns, I might have one rather than XDM...maybe. Anyway, I really like the 5" and find the recoil to be easy.

S&W Had a 4.25" M&P Gunsite tuned...Nice as one could want

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 12:09 (3660 days ago) @ RidinLou

for the plastic/big/wide 9mm pistols. Great tuned trigger gifted to a friend's son for his first pistol. Gunsite uses 9mm M&Ps for their loaners and for those that can't/won't go with a 1911...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Louis, have you seen/shot Tom's M&P Compact?

by Catoosa, Thursday, September 18, 2014, 20:34 (3660 days ago) @ RidinLou

I'm in welded wing with my 1911s and BHPs and have never cared for the plastic fantastics; HOWEVER if I ever did want or need one I think the M&P would be the ticket. I cannot believe the trigger on Tom's M&P Compact 9mm - dang thing almost shoots itself. I also like that the M&Ps can be had with a manual safety -I don't like or trust the point-n'-clickers.

Ain't nothin' wrong with the 9mm if you're a good shot, and a .50 Desert Eagle won't help if you're not....

I've shot a couple of MP Compacts now...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, September 19, 2014, 10:05 (3659 days ago) @ RidinLou

as well as a Shield (all 40's) and liked them an awful lot. I shoot a Sigma OK and the MP's were a breeze... more of a 'staged DA' than the typical Glock trigger.

But if I wanted a full-size 9mm pistol I would definitely get a Beretta 92.

Louis, have you seen/shot Tom's M&P Compact?

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Friday, September 19, 2014, 17:26 (3659 days ago) @ Catoosa

I saw it, but do not remember shooting it. In fact if he does not forget to bring it, he is supposed to test something on it tomorrow.

Gotta remember as a wheelgun guy, I have problems with safeties. I can forget to put them on, or take them off, both can create an issue.

TCP is point and clicker so I am used to that idea. 3 inches of trigger pull (smooth and steady all the way) keeps it safe.

That said, either I will get to try one tomorrow at Nashville Armory/S&W try before you buy or I will order a PT92 Stainless next week.

I bought a pot load of 115 grain FMJs just before the last panic in anticipation of lowering myself to a nine MM and have about 5-6 gallons of brass . . . soooooo

A 9MM of some ilk is in my future.

I hope they will let me play in their raindeer games at Dickson with 9MM. They may laugh, but I am in it for the practice under different conditions.

Still have real guns beginning with a 4 for other activities

Well and the 380 that I actually ever carry.

I haven't shot any MPs . . . yet, BUT

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Friday, September 19, 2014, 17:34 (3659 days ago) @ Sarge
edited by RidinLou, Friday, September 19, 2014, 17:56

Dang Sarge, I finally talk myself out of a 92 and you go and post that.

Lot of folks bad mouth them, but all I have handled/shot did just fine.

As Range Control I got to watch a lot of them go downrange and we never had a problem (gun related) in many thousands of rounds and these are rattle-battle guns. We each put a few thousand rounds downrange in a class and there were also no problems during those few days.

Sitting in the tower watching Lefties with a 92 did provide a bit of humor though.

I have but two complaints...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, September 19, 2014, 20:18 (3659 days ago) @ RidinLou

with the 92. One its odd slide shape, which I find poor for IWB carry. The other is its bass-ackwards safety and that is easily remedied in the G Models, which convert that apparatus to a decocker.

My 9mm's have been few, but the one I should have kept was an old 92G Centurion. It ran with anything, didn't care whether you used OEM mags or cheapies and it was scary accurate with Federal's +P+ 9BPLE load. In fact I shot the smallest witnessed 50 yard group I ever fired with that gun, while demonstrating barricade shooting during a training event. I have wanted to set one up for Service Pistol ever since.

Be sure to check out the SD9

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, September 20, 2014, 13:46 (3658 days ago) @ Sarge

... It's very similar totthe Sigma, I think of it as an improved Sigma. The biggest difference is the trigger, the SD9/40 have a trigger that is completely acceptable to me. And they have tweaked the frame and made it fit my hand a little better.

I just picked up my third SD9 yesterday, it's one of the originals with the black slide and front night sight. The current version is the SD9VE, which has a bare stainless slide finish and different sights. So far my pair of SD9's have functioned 100% and I shoot the SD9 better than my full size M&P9. I had my ex Marine stepson try it, he too shot better with the SD9 and soon after bought one for himself.

I don't think there is another "cheap" ($325) gun that comes anywhere near the SD9/40.

Be sure to check out the SD9

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, September 20, 2014, 14:42 (3658 days ago) @ Warhawk

I've shot and really like the SD- and prefer its grip and trigger to the MP. The SD is the perfect size/weight for an all-around auto pistol. My favorite was the all black version with the factory front night sight. If I needed or wanted another 40 around the place, I would darn sure hunt one of those up.

9mm

by Catoosa, Sunday, September 21, 2014, 21:12 (3657 days ago) @ RidinLou

Louis, I don't think anyone will snicker at you for shooting a 9mm - if they do they don't know much. As fond as I am of 1911s and the .45 ACP, if I had any serious possibility of facing trouble I would choose to take a Browning High Power (or maybe two of them). I shoot a BHP faster and more accurately than a .45, and with todays ammo I'll rely on multiple hits with an adequate bullet to get me home safe.

In fact, we have been having a bit of vandalism and a few breakins up here lately, and one of my BHPs is usually along when I am out and about the place.

RSS Feed of thread