Not half bad for a base model Armalite...

by rob @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 18:12 (3665 days ago)

Eagle Arms AR15...[image] Picture is sideways but group is actually at the top of the white dot at 12, not 9.

Five rounds, messy writing from

by rob @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 18:13 (3665 days ago) @ rob

Trying to write on wet targets still hanging up before pulling them and getting confused...that's all:)

Looks like a good load that is close for others too . . .

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 19:35 (3665 days ago) @ rob
edited by RidinLou, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 19:41

Within a couple of tenths, that is what I load behind behind the Nosler 60 grain Partition.

Have you chronographed your results?

I have pulled targets with good groups saying I would write down the details "later" and when later comes have no earthly idea what the data was.
Yes, no matter what it pays to capture the information while it is fresh on ones mind,especially with this older mind I have on my shoulders.

That is for certain!

by rob @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 22:07 (3665 days ago) @ RidinLou

This is the second time around. I started this project but I had a case failure with the cheap brass I had. I got some good factory stuff, shot enough to get some good brass and looked for my load data Thursday night and I couldn't find my notes to save my life. All I remembered was I started with 23.5 and worked up to 25 in half grain increments...same bullet and powder. I do remember 24.5 was most accurate last time and it was this time too. My measure was throwing 24.4 so I went with it. Now I wonder if it's worth it to go up .1 with a group like that. For a 16" carbine that's pretty good for me. Anyhow, I do have everything logged, including the Redding micrometer measurements. Next trip out I plan to chronograph it just for curiosity. This is the 60 grain Hornady Varmint SP. I would like to try the Partition as well. If it's as accurate, even if I have to tweak the powder charge, it should be a good bullet for Texas deer and pigs. You say you're using H335 as well?

My load was with a lot of WC844

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 06:37 (3664 days ago) @ rob
edited by RidinLou, Monday, September 15, 2014, 18:18

that compared to H335 when I compared the two way back when.
24 point something and I quit as I was going to carry it hunting that week last year.
Did not get to hunt with it and did not do any shooting since to tweak it further. Developed a load with the NPT and 3031 at the same time and as it works out both were the same as a coworker had worked up for his AR. He had told me he had used both powders and so I just worked up a load based on middle of the load data and up and then most accurate.
I guess today is as good as any to pull a bullet from each and see what the exact charge is. I will edit this posting when I get that done.

Sloppy record keeping is not recommended for loading.

And I used to be fairly meticulous with recording loading data to include a sample group with the load data on the target.

My gun is 20" barrel, can't handle the noise of the short barrels. Reminds me of shooting my 10" 30 Herrett with ball powder.

went back and looked.

23.5 grains. Went higher, but went for accuracy at upper level load.

IF ONE IS NOT WILLING TO WORK UP SLOWLY

NOT WILLING TO CHRONOGRAPH LOADS

COMPARE WITH A KNOW IF AVAILABLE

then MILSURP powder is not for them.

The gubmit tests powder from train car lots and works up loads to their specs as I understand it

H335 has been my powder of choice for 5.56/223 since

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 07:13 (3664 days ago) @ rob

the late 70's. Now I have some WC844 as well and its gives the same results.

So is WC844 a surplus powder that's similar to H335?

by rob @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 08:29 (3664 days ago) @ RidinLou

I need to find some more 335. I haven't bought powder in probably 6 years...stocked up when Obama got elected...so I don't know which powders are easy or hard to get.

So is WC844 a surplus powder that's similar to H335?

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 12:15 (3664 days ago) @ rob

Some lots are just like H335, some are not exactly. You would have to test to tell for sure.

I assume its close enough that...

by rob @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 13:01 (3664 days ago) @ Cherokee

If I could get the. WC in bulk for the right price it's still a good substitute if worked up carefully?

some of them are not powder sensitive

by bj @, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 20:13 (3664 days ago) @ Cherokee

But I have seen problems when the burning rate gets too fast or too slow. Look in a good loading manual and find a list of powders sorted according to burning rate. H322 for instance can be too fast for a 20" barrel gun, might be OK for a 16" barrel. Powders like Varget seem slow but will work in a 20" barrel.

I have seen good results from H322, WW748, Varget and Reloader 15. These span the range from fast to slow.

RSS Feed of thread