Glock 30 Impressions...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, August 29, 2014, 20:54 (3680 days ago)
edited by Sarge, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 10:59

After about a month of steady shooting (maybe 600 rounds) with the Model 30 I can offer a couple of observations.

It is reliable. It is accurate for the platform. Ejection is well over the right shoulder with brass cased ammo. It shoots well with steel case ammo but will ding you on the noggin occasionally with those.

The trigger has worn in to 'just OK' with the factory connector and trigger spring... has a little more creep in the 2nd stage than what I like (edited to add: even on a Glock). Pull with factory components is just over 6 pounds. I've run it with a Ghost 3.5 connector and the factory spring; produced a decent trigger of about 4 pounds. Ran it with a NY-1 and the 3.5 connector; heavy take-up with about a 6 pound trigger. I've had an issued G22 with the NY-1 and shot it pretty well but I don't like it on the 30. Believe I'm going to polish the contact surfaces between the stock trigger bar & connector and just call it good.

If Glock had asked my input on this model prior to offering it, it would have had a Gen 2, G23 length grip on it... might have worked out to 11 rounds, whatever. I don't have huge hands but I find the 30's grip just short enough to be mildly annoying. Life is full of compromises and the 30 is a good enough little 45 that I can certainly adapt to its grip.

Glock 30 S?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 01:25 (3680 days ago) @ Sarge

compact 45s are hard to beat.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Glock 30 S?

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 10:53 (3679 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I really like the 30s, only reason I did get one is because I wanted to wring out the 45 Super and maybe 460 at some point.

You have one Rob? I think Mark Cassill has a 30s too IIRC.

Glock 30 S?

by uncowboy, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 11:26 (3679 days ago) @ Sarge

I also have the 30SF and REALLY like it. J.Michael

have had one a couple years now....utterly reliable and smal

by cable, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 11:26 (3679 days ago) @ Sarge

enough ..... agree on the grip size. got one for my son too.

Nope, just asking. I like my XD 45s for plastic autos.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 16:08 (3679 days ago) @ Sarge

all I carry are my lwt 1911s though, with a J or a XDs for a second. I am considering going full Awerbuck and just toting two 1911s.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I have a 30s and like it.

by mcassill, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 17:06 (3679 days ago) @ Sarge

Rides comfortably on my hip for all-day carry. I have big hands but have gotten used to the short grip frame. Mine shoots high and centered with 230 grain loads; at 50 yards I would be aiming at BG's belt buckle to hit in the vitals. YMMV
Mark

Mine shot way high too Mark...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 19:10 (3679 days ago) @ mcassill

until I slapped an old G23 sight on it. Still about 3-4" high at 50 with most 230 ball, but I can live with that.

Perfecta 230 FMJ Ammo is usually in good supply at WalMart..

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, August 30, 2014, 13:16 (3679 days ago) @ Sarge

and marginally more expensive than Tula .45 steel case, which is all but unavailable here now. It's apparently made by Fiocchi in Italy which surprised me because it is the least accurate ammunition I've fired in this 30. Oh, it works and is accurate enough for 6" plates at 25 yards and it's reloadable. But I have yet to get anything resembling the groups I get with S&B, Federal or Remington ball- nearly "good 1911" accuracy.

Times are tough and you shoot what you can get. At least the Perfecta will stay on a silhouette at 100 yards if the shooter doesn't screw it up. I shot this sitting, with the gun rested over one knee, and held on the head. In retrospect, a neck hold would have produced better results.

[image]

Glock 30 Impressions...

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 10:16 (3678 days ago) @ Sarge

I have a 30 SF and a 26 among my several Glocks. I prefer to shoot the 30SF but it carries a little heavy so I find myself with the 26 most often. I very lightly polish the contact surfaces of the trigger bar and connector and it produces a perfectly acceptable trigger for my taste. They are all excellent guns and despite the soul-less, unattractive blockiness I find I respect the design tremendously.

--
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

RSS Feed of thread