Marlin transmogrified...

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 12:47 (3686 days ago)
edited by Paul, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 17:56

I picked up a Marlin 336C with a Bushnell 3-9 scope last year to help a co-worker out.
I've been looking to flip it since.
In fact I have been talking with some board members about it the last few days.

So, this morning I went to the local sporting goods store.
I haven't been in there for at least 2 years if not more.

The owner and I chatted for a bit and then he asked me if I had a lever gun in 35 Remington, 44 or 45-70?
Well yes I do!
Since it's only 2 1/2 miles from the house I told him I would go get it.
Jack also wanted me to look at a Smith 629 he just took in earlier in the day.
Well, it turned out to be a 629-3 6" with factory Pachmeyer's.

It's been shot some evidenced by a bit of bolt notch wear, but it is in nice condition.

I walked out of there minus a Marlin and a ridiculously small amount of boot, and came home with a nice S&W 629.

[image]

[image]

I know the pics aren't the best, I didn't realize how much this little Canon A2500 showed in the viewfinder that is outside the capture frame.

pic help please

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 12:49 (3686 days ago) @ MS

Hmmm, I had to open them in a new tab to view the pics.
They also show much more than the Photobucket images showed.

Cut and paste the links. if you can't get them to upload

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 13:03 (3686 days ago) @ MS

I 'll post em

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Let's try this...

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 14:54 (3686 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Marlin transmogrified...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 18:02 (3686 days ago) @ MS

Nice looking Marlin. :-D

As for the pics, to the right of the pic where it says "direct", click there. This copies the direct link to the picture to your computer's clipboard. Now, to the right of your text entry space here on the forum, click where it says "image" (the button) then on "default" and a dialog box pops up. "http://" will be highlighted by default, just use Control V (ctrl + v) to paste the code into that dialog box, now click "OK" and it will paste right where you had the cursor last. Repeat for as many pictures as you plan to post, complete your text and then post as normal. Use "Preview" prior to posting to make sure it all got in there OK and the pics show up like they should.

I got it now!

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Monday, August 25, 2014, 20:08 (3684 days ago) @ Paul

[image]

[image]

I was trying to use IMG code on the others.

I am anxious to see it shoot...

by Brian A, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 20:39 (3686 days ago) @ MS

Am betting it will be a real cracker jack after a good cleaning.

Marlin transmogrified...

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:42 (3685 days ago) @ MS

I have been through many grips for my S&W Mountain Gun and have not been satisfied. Last week I went through my large box of holsters and grips and found the same grips that came with your new Smith. Well I really like them so far. If your hands have the same ware as mine I think you might like them also. In my opinion they look and feel beter then the rubber Hogue grips that come on the new S&W guns. By the way I would have jumped on that 629. Great gun.

Art

Hogue

by bj @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 20:57 (3685 days ago) @ Art

I seem to like the Hogue wood grips the most on N-frames.

And BTW that 629 looks great.

I wasn't really looking...

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Monday, August 25, 2014, 17:11 (3684 days ago) @ Art

I wasn't looking to buy anything, I wanted to get rid of the Marlin. As nice as the Marlin was, and it's 1" accuracy @ 100 yards, it needed a new home.

I must admit I went all round heeled at the sight of the 629.
The action is very nice, you can easily roll the cylinder around without dropping the hammer. Something I've never really been very good at BTW.

Of all the renditions of N-Frame 44's, the standard 629 with it's half lug barrel, square butt grip frame and fluted cylinder are my favorite.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Monday, August 25, 2014, 19:07 (3684 days ago) @ MS

My favorite also. Do not care for the full luged look. Wish the 686's did not have it. I have a 686-3 square butt. It has the same forged trigger and hammer flash silvered as your 629. Good luck with it.

Art

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Monday, August 25, 2014, 20:02 (3684 days ago) @ Art
edited by MS, Monday, August 25, 2014, 20:14

This has a smooth Target Trigger and Target hammer, I didn't know they were forged steel.
So it's a silver plate on them? I did notice the different look to them, but didn't really think too much about it.

Brian A. and I were looking it over during the obligatory show-and-tell/coon-finger session, and he pointed out the features as we looked it up in The Standard Catalog of Smith&Wesson.
It has the Endurance Package, but still has the hammer mounted firing pin.

I think I'm going to like it.

One of the reasons I prefer the Ruger Security Six to the GP-100 is because of the half lug barrels. I never cared much for the two GP-100's I had, they always seemed like they were pigs.
Same with the 686 I had, a good range gun, but not as nice as a M-19 to carry.
Maybe that's why I still have my 2 3/4" Security Six, and the GP-100's and 686 are down the road.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 06:57 (3683 days ago) @ MS

From what I understand the flash silver was discontinued since it caused too much polution. Since S&W is located in a very liberal state not sure about that. Hammer mounted firing pins mean forged parts. When they started MIM they moved the firing pin. Endurance package is a very good thing. You got a really good one.

Marlin transmogrified...

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 13:03 (3683 days ago) @ MS

I picked up this 657 S&W 41 Mag a few weeks ago. I know alot of folks do not care for this caliber but I always had an affection for it. Mine has the forged parts but case hardned. Has a round butt but no full lug barrel. Grips are the classic from Ahrends. I would love to find the 44 you have. Maybe some day I will run into one.

Art

[image]

Marlin transmogrified...

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 20:51 (3683 days ago) @ Art

Art, I like that one.

Like you I'm a 41 magnum fan.
My Freedom Arms M-97 is in 41. A few years ago, I had an M-57 no-dash 4".
It shot really well with loads it liked, but unfortunately none of them were loads my Freedom Arms liked.
It went down the road in order for me to get my M-83 in 454.

Art, check your e-mail please, re. a nice 629

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 19:14 (3682 days ago) @ Art

There should be an e-mail waiting for you about a nice 629 you might be interested in.

Mark

RSS Feed of thread