Question to axe...

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:10 (3690 days ago)

I am looking for a decent hatchet/small belt axe. About a 2-3" blade. Don't want one I am afraid to lose but not a $9.99 job either. No spikes thing and not tactical looking. Any suggestions. I bought a Gerber PAC axe online not realizing the handle is about as long as the width of my hand. I am thinking 11 - 13" handle.

Question to axe...

by uncowboy, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:26 (3690 days ago) @ stonewalrus

The same axe as you have with the longer handle. You can get it with a knife or saw hidden in the hollow handle.

Estwing hatchet around $40 or so at Ace, etc. If you want to

by BobM, Ohio, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:05 (3690 days ago) @ stonewalrus

spend a bit more you could order a medium camp axe from H&B Forge

^^^^ This^^^^ Dad has one and I have another

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:33 (3690 days ago) @ BobM

their are two sizes of hatchets. Get the larger one.

Thank you - found new one on Fleabay with free shipping

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:11 (3690 days ago) @ BobM

I figured the steel handle made them heavier but doesn't much from the specs.

I have both the hatchet and 3/4 axe...

by Brian A, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:22 (3690 days ago) @ BobM

by Estwing, love them both.

Anwser...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:25 (3690 days ago) @ stonewalrus

+1 on Rob's answer

by MR, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:57 (3690 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have a Riflemans hawk that stays behind the back seat of Old Paintless. I use it all the time at the ranch. It's a bit big for a belt carry, but I am looking at the pipe hawk, and the trail hawk to supplement. It's chopped up year old dead oak snags off the road with no problem. If I get a trail hawk, I will probably cut the handle down to about 12 inches for better carry on woods excursions.

One of those goes on my wish list for sure

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 05:38 (3689 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I snagged an Estwing but I still want one of those down the road. I am impressed with Cold Steel products. I have several knives, a couple of machetes and a shovel.

Ok, I am weak - ordered a Cold Steel pipe tomahawk too

by stonewalrus, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 21:25 (3688 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

You can never have too many hatchets... You guys are a bad influence :-P

Grandfors Bruk...

by pokynojoe, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:35 (3690 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Once you use one, everything else will seem like junk. I have a wildlife hatchet and and American Felling Axe. Spend the money, you'll never buy another, and your grandchildren will thank you.

Grandfors Bruk...

by cr...version 2, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 21:15 (3689 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Ditto times three...

Link to some choices...The Husky is a decent tool....

by Caz, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:19 (3690 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I have an Outdoor Edge hatchet, onepiece forged head and

by ERSisk, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 23:59 (3690 days ago) @ stonewalrus

handle with rubber grip. Takes and holds a good edge, picked it up for $15 at the local gun show a few years back. There website has a $24 fiberglass handle model http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/295x295/knifecenter/outdoor/images/ax1.jpg

it depends

by brionic @, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 02:37 (3690 days ago) @ stonewalrus
edited by brionic, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 02:44

on what you want to use it for.

Rough use/messing around/hiking/packing - the Cold Steel tomahawk is hard to beat. Friend Terry Barney made a really neat video showing multiple uses.

For splitting, a proper hatchet is better than a hawk, but technique is important. One is FAR more likely to injure himself with a hatchet than with a longer-helved axe if tired or using poor form. Safest use involves placing the head directly atop what you want to split and then driving the bit directly into the wood using a solid blow from a baton.

My favorite axes tend to be the "boys axe" which is usually about a 2 lb head on a 27" helve. Very useful and flexible.

I like the older axes better than most new ones, but most of the newer Swedish axes are well made. The GB mentioned above tend to be pretty good, but the are VERY expensive and are designed for use in softer woods. Still, they are sharp and ready to go, neither of which applies to any other new production axe.

Have a look at Council Tool boys axe - about $30 on Amazon... needs a bit of sharpening, as they all do, but it's the best bang for the buck.

Also, I really like the Hults and Husqvarna-branded Hults hatchets. They are burley and well made in Sweden, although the complainers bemoan the final finish on recent production runs.

I'm not too crazy about the hardware store-type axes, most of which are now made in China; Trouper is what remains of the old Collins and Mann Edge Co... they are made in Mexico. The polymer handled Gerbers are soft but work well if you don't roll the edge.

Way I look at it is, it's an axe, learn to maintain the edge and smash stuff into little bits with it, use it to hammer stakes, maybe flip burgers if you're out camping, etc, all of which can/will alter the finish, so either adjust it yourself or learn to live with it.

Remember that proper axe work is all in the technique - safety first - it should be easy and deliberate - not hard and forced. Strength is NOT part of the equation and can/will result in exhaustion or injury.

[image]

vs.

[image]

watch this

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 16:04 (3689 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Question to axe...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 23:35 (3689 days ago) @ stonewalrus

This has been the Summer of the Tomahawk for the wife & I and I have about resigned myself to spending an exorbitant $70 for an HB Forge 'Large Camp Ax'

[image]
http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes/large-camp-axe

RSS Feed of thread