Today's gun show...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 17:49 (3692 days ago)

Spent more time talking than looking 'cause there wasn't much to look at. Oh, there were lots of NEW guns split between pistols and ARs but...

There wasn't much .22 LR especially not much target ammo, next to none might be a more accurate description. There was a 4" Stainless Security Six ($475) and a Tenite stocked Savage 24 ($550). I did buy a #3 Grohmann knife. I like 'em. Paid $60.

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Slow gun show is fun for 'finds'...

by John Meeker @, United States, Monday, August 18, 2014, 07:52 (3691 days ago) @ Hobie

particularly like 'sleeper' knives. Have a couple of shoe-boxes full of off-beat, useful blade configs. As well, before they got 'known',scarfed up all sorts of older carbon steel kitchen/butcher knives, When I started research, it was interesting to find that some of them were as old as mid-19th century -- but just hadn't apparently been 'sharpened to death'. Same with Scando-blades, which have finally taken off into higher prices.

Anyway, that blade/handle style is one of my choices for all around. when I get bored at a show, it's time to search the 'rubble piles', tho', the InterNets have altered even that. Fewer sleepers = very optimistic pricing ;~`)

Slow gun show is fun for 'finds'... Sometimes VERY true!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, August 18, 2014, 21:55 (3691 days ago) @ John Meeker

I almost went for the Savage. I have fond memories of one our close friends had that I was once given to use on a fox hunt. We did not get the fox, although we did call one with a battery powered record player electronic call. It did not matter. TOO much fun. 50 years later I still recall that evening hunt with a smile.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

This weekend's show was decent.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 08:22 (3690 days ago) @ Hobie

Nothing to really grabbed my fancy but enough to poke at to keep me interested. Just 10 feet in the door and a vendor of "Miscellaneous Olde Stuff" (gun related, not junque), had 6 boxes of 7mm Ackley Magnum reloads! He volunteered to sell me the lot for components for $5/box. So, I got my arms stretched out lugging the sack around the rest of the morning.

Interestingly, they were marked "7mm Ackley Magnum No.1" and "No.2". While I cannot measure shoulder corners very closely, the only real difference I find is in the neck length where the No. 1 is a bit shorter. No mention of variations in Ackley's books or other references at hand. Both chamber in my rifle with no issue.

Now, to pick up a 7mm collet for my puller and build some low end loads to see how it shoots.

Yep, you never know what'll turn up.

My Grandfather taught me something a long time ago...

by Brian A, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:40 (3689 days ago) @ Hobie

If you go to a gun show looking for something specific to the exclusion of all else, maybe you will find it, maybe you won't, but the odds are the show will not live up to your expectations. If you go to enjoy the variety of things put out for sale and display, the history represented and the fellowship of like-minded folks, odds are in your favor of finding not only a more enjoyable experience, but also some real deals on unique treasures.

My Grandfather taught me something a long time ago...

by John Meeker @, United States, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 14:49 (3689 days ago) @ Brian A

Endorsed....wise man, him.

+1 And, judging by his taste in firearms as well as...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, August 22, 2014, 11:23 (3687 days ago) @ John Meeker

thems he raised, I believe I would have enjoyed meeting him very much.

Sometimes a gun show is not a "gun" show if you

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 15:46 (3689 days ago) @ Brian A

know what I mean. That is a fact. I had a good enjoyable 2 hours speaking with people some of whom I had not seen in years. However, it is what it is and there's no getting around that.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The more I think about it, the more I think I shoulda

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:29 (3689 days ago) @ Hobie

bought that 24...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread