Ruger Super Redhawk Grips

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 14:58 (3704 days ago)

I have a 7-1/2" .480 and the stock grip beats the thumb web up pretty badly. I see that there are a few options out in the ether from Hogue, et al. What have you have luck with?

Thank you.

What worked for me:

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 16:30 (3704 days ago) @ Hoot

Sell it and get another S&W...
I hear good things about the new hogue over-sized rubber grips...Do the GP 100 grips interchange? Hogue has done a good job on the Match Champion stocks (Wood, they fill that all important gap behind the web)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

If S&W made a .480 and it wasn't an X-frame...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 10:04 (3702 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'd be in line.

I looked on Hogue's site but see no mention of "Match Champion". What am I missing?

Oh, and the GP-100 and SRH are the same grip.

Thanks!

If S&W made a .480 5 shot n frame....

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 10:40 (3702 days ago) @ Hoot

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

almost afraid to ask, but what about the Raging Bull?

by bj @, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 19:41 (3702 days ago) @ Hoot

seems that the Raging Bull would be a good model in .480, since it is 5-shot.

Bro' Dan has a Raging Bull in .480

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 20:53 (3702 days ago) @ bj

His pistol always seemed to be very comfortable to shoot. One of the things I need to do is shoot them side by side with the same loads. We'll quickly find out if it's grip geometry/construction or not. It's a decent pistol and I do suffer from unfounded prejudices (I do own a few Taurii) but I love S&W and Ruger, although for largely different reasons.

I shot a couple of cylinders-full through a .480

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 21:51 (3702 days ago) @ Hoot

Raging Bull, not long after they came out. This one had a 5" or so barrel. The load was a 405 grain LBT and about all the 296 you get under it. I was nailing a 1 pound metal coffee can at 40 yards with it and it was substantially more comfortable to shoot than my 4" Model 29 with 300 grain loads.

Could have bought that gun for 400 bucks and still kick myself in the ass for not doing it.

Go to the Ruger Store on...

by rob @, Friday, August 08, 2014, 14:26 (3701 days ago) @ Hoot

The Ruger web sight and you can buy the stocks for the Match Champion.

Thank you Rob!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, August 08, 2014, 14:52 (3701 days ago) @ rob

I had completely forgotten about that model of the GP-100 and got my head locked in that it was a Hogue model. This'll make it LOTS easier to find! ;-)

These grippystockthingies?

by MarkS, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 18:29 (3700 days ago) @ rob

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-GP100-Match-Champion-Grips/productinfo/19944/

I might be talked into shooting my 480 SuperRed with those grips on it...for one shot....maybe.

As much as I hate rubber grips for being ugly and snaggy on clothing for a carry gun, they work well for recoil discomfort.
I might try the Alaskan grips and sand the finger grooves off them.

Hoot, are you shooting with a good fitting leather glove?
That helps me tremendously for range sessions with mine.

Another option is to shoot much lighter bullets (310-320gr @ 900-1000fps)
for the majority of your practice.

I milled one lube groove worth off the bottom of a Lee 475-400RF mold that casts 310gr. RFN (almost an LFN profile) Shooting these is like shooting a giant 38 Special! A soft push and a mighty smack on target! I would shoot about anything up to 500 lbs. with this load. It hits all out of proportion to it's recoil.

If you'd like to try them, I can send some your way.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, August 11, 2014, 08:16 (3698 days ago) @ MarkS

I'll drop you a note.

Are yours the rubber grips with wood inserts?

by AkRay, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 20:19 (3704 days ago) @ Hoot

I didn't like those. The grips that come as standard on the Ruger Alaskans have a soft insert that does the same thing as a Decelerator recoil pad on a rifle. They make the guns a lot more shootable. You still know you've dropped the hammer on something big, but they really soften the sting.

Yep, factory issued rubber/wood.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 10:05 (3702 days ago) @ AkRay

I'll check into the Alaskan grips. Normally finger-groove's don't seem to match up to my fingers very well. Thanks for the tip.

Ruger Super Redhawk Grips

by Jared, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 11:52 (3702 days ago) @ Hoot

They take the same grips as the GP100 so you have a lot of choices. I sort of liked the grips that came on my Alaskan. With heavy loads they handled the recoil well, but they really don't fit my hands. I replaced them with standard grips but then again I don't shoot many heavy loads out of it.

RSS Feed of thread