Help with M1 Garand trade

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 11:26 (3706 days ago)

I may trade a pair of revolvers to a friend for his H&R "Correct grade" Garand, purchased by him from the CMP, with paperwork, along with 2 cans (400+ rounds) of 30 ball ammo in clips/bandoliers. The rifle really looks almost new and measures a 2 at muzzle. I've never owned a Garand and know very little about them. The only thing odd I noticed was that the small front handguard near muzzle was loose. What is current ballpark value of this package? Thanks! Matt

Sounds like you're talking about the gas nut.

by cas, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 13:40 (3706 days ago) @ MDF99

They tend to work themselves loose when shooting, nothing unusual there.

Are you sure you've got your "grade" names right? Sounds like you're talking about the ones were they take parts and build on it with a new stock, new barrel etc etc. Which would explain why it looked like a new gun. Those are a grand from the CMP now.

A "correct grade" would probably start there and go up, since they auction those.

Sounds like you're talking about the gas nut.

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 14:25 (3706 days ago) @ cas

Yes correct grade is right, he bought it in person several years back before they began auctioning them. Thanks cas.

The smaller front handguard is like that

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 15:00 (3706 days ago) @ MDF99

Every standard M1 I've seen has a varying bit of looseness of the front handguard.

The only front (wood) handguard that you won't find like that are on rifles that have been modified for match use.
Those have had the interior hardware removed, the inside of the woods relieved from around the barrel and the handguard glued onto the "lower band"

If you ever get to hold one that has been modified like that, don't hold it by the front handguard since there is no reinforcement inside and it will be damaged.

The smaller front handguard is like that

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 15:56 (3706 days ago) @ Miles Fortis

Mr. Fortis, I appreciate that, thank you Sir!

by Jared, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 17:37 (3706 days ago) @ MDF99

A correct grade HRA in good condition is probably at least $1500 full retail on today's prices. A few years ago before CMP started to auction them all off they where selling for around $1000. If you can get it for a deal you can agree on they are a lot of fun. I have a small collection of Garands and most are great shooters.

The HRA are nice rifles but be aware if you are wanting a WWII era they were all made in the 50's. Only Springfield and Winchester were made during WWII.

The ammo was selling for $.20-.25 a round depending on how it is packaged, today's prices are close to $1.00 a round.

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Monday, August 04, 2014, 06:50 (3705 days ago) @ Jared

Thanks Jared!

ROTC Blues

by Catoosa, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:52 (3704 days ago) @ MDF99

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, we used to loosen the upper hand guard so it would make a sharp "crack" when your hand hit it when executing the manual of arms. If somebody's "crack" was a fraction of a second late or early, the whole formation got to stand at attention for a while holding all 9 1/2 pounds of M1 at arms length in front of us.

RSS Feed of thread