Army to get new pistol

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 12:28 (3738 days ago)

New Pistol
I want to see the evidence proving the 9mm is superior to the .45.

Especially in FMJ mode!

by stonewalrus, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 14:52 (3738 days ago) @ Dave B

Nm

I'll believe it when I see it

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 18:36 (3738 days ago) @ Dave B

...too long too many promises to replace that m9 crap.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Army to get new pistol

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 19:25 (3738 days ago) @ Dave B

Didn't they relize the problems of an open slide back in 1985? It took them this long !!!!!!!!!

frame wear on Glocks?

by bj2, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 20:06 (3738 days ago) @ Dave B

I have a hard time believing that, but .40S&W in a Glock has a pretty sharp recoil.

I would think that they could upgrade from 9mm to .40S&W and have a good improvement, but I'm not so sure how well it would work with FMJ ammo.

I thought we got to 9mm due to NATO use, so how would they now move away from 8mm? Plus I thought it worked better with inexperienced and smaller stature troops. (Although I know plenty of females that do well with a standard 1911.) They could buy M9 versions in .40S&W and be set, but maybe an M9 in .40 would be a long term maintenance problem.

If the 9mm, and maybe the .40, is not sufficient then they could go back to .45ACP, but that would be harder on some troops. Or they could go to 10mm or .45Super with a gun that is designed appropriately, but how many troops could not handle that. Maybe there is an advantage to troops being able to hit something with 9mm that they would miss with a larger caliber.

wear on Glocks?... Yep

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 22:11 (3738 days ago) @ bj2

.40 in a G22 and especially in a G23 is very hard on the gun. And 9mm NATO M882 in a G19 is pretty hard on them as well.

The HQ armorers at a certain unnamable unit using G22s said that .40 "chews the hell out of the Glock".

Of course, when spare part's budget is unlimited and cyclic coding out guns for replacement is also a standard practice, that fact doesn't really matter to them.

I'm out of the loop now I'm retired, so I haven't a clue what Uncle is looking for in a new pistola, but, even with the wear issue noted above, .40 is one of the calibers definitely being looked at.

Well it did work pretty good in Tucson awhile back.

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 22:10 (3738 days ago) @ Dave B

The idjit used Winchester white box bought at the local Wallywerld.

just sayin'. :-)

38 Long Colt

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, July 04, 2014, 06:03 (3737 days ago) @ Dave B

Just started a Rumor! Makes sense that whatever they pick would be something that wouldn't make sense in this modern world.

Bob

Army to get new pistol

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, July 04, 2014, 06:46 (3737 days ago) @ Dave B

"experts from the law-enforcement and competitive shooting worlds" = idiots who nothing about FMJ effectiveness.

If you're using FMJ, the best you can do is make it 40 caliber or larger, with a big flat point. Remington's stock 40/180 grain UMC flat point does about 1000 fps and will actually rivet to a degree on meeting substantial resistance like hadji heads and ribs. "Shoot the MF'er to the ground" applies regardless of what's in your magazine- or hands.

This 40 cal Glock "frame wear" stuff is utter bullshit... a Talking Point for 9mm advocates and nothing more. I used to like Ernest Langdon. Guess I am over that now.

9mm is no good...

by Byron, Friday, July 04, 2014, 11:37 (3737 days ago) @ Sarge
edited by Byron, Friday, July 04, 2014, 11:48

Everyone knows that the Germans lost WW2 because they carried 9mm instead of .45s.

Everyone knows.

Still, visiting with Black Watch or German Mountain Infantry Majors here at CGSC they all say that men that they shoot with their 9mms do the predictable thing and die.

Pistols don't win wars.

Byron

Pistols may not win wars...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, July 04, 2014, 12:13 (3737 days ago) @ Byron

but they save the lives of people who do. If I had my way, every US combatant who could qualify with a pistol, would have a pistol.

And in this day and age they need to be armed at all times!!

by stonewalrus, Friday, July 04, 2014, 12:48 (3737 days ago) @ Sarge

Nm

Everybody has an opinion.......

by Byron, Friday, July 04, 2014, 18:09 (3737 days ago) @ stonewalrus

In that I have very limited experience in handling firearms I understand that my opinions on handguns are also of very limited value.

Still, I have my opinion based on that very limited experience.

Given the choice between the top .45 and the bottom 9mm in a shoot out I would take the 17 round 9mm over the 8 round .45 without hesitation.

[image]

Byron

I made that choice day before yesterday...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, July 04, 2014, 18:56 (3737 days ago) @ Byron

and took a 14" 870, 15 shot 40/180 (w/28 spares) and a 380 w/2 mags. Oh, and a switchblade. Dang near forgot the switchblade ;) But nobody wanted to play after I got there.

I get your point Byron, really do. I love the 1911 but 15 shots of 40/180, in a near-indestructible weatherproof handgun, just trumps it as a service pistol. There was a time when the only road to substantial capacity in a service pistol was the 9mm. Now we can have that capacity with a bigger, heavier bullet. Personally, I thinks that's a good thing and I'd like to see out military folks have that advantage. That's really all I'm saying here.

Beautiful pistols you posted there, BTW.

If you have years of experience with a 1911 makes a

by stonewalrus, Sunday, July 06, 2014, 06:51 (3735 days ago) @ Sarge

Difference. I just don't like the idea of cocked and locked without any real experience and under stress might forget to pull that hammer back! For people who have not cut their teeth on a 1911, I figure that is a different ball game.

RSS Feed of thread