Flattop .45

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 20:35 (3740 days ago)

[image]
Even though the trigger is creepy and a bit heavy, it slings my 289gr bullets pretty darn good. This was a mild 850fps'ish load, but I get the same results with same bullet at 1050 or so. It isn't my FA454, but it is an easy packing, easy shooting, ready for anything in my neck of the woods, two legged (foreign or domestic)or four legged, varmint bird or big game. Think I'll keep it. Oh, and this was at 26 yards (laser ranged, too lazy to move it) would have shot more, but at 101 degrees, the heat reflecting off the ground was unreal, and I was at 7500 feet.

That's a good shooting 45 right there.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 20:42 (3740 days ago) @ Dave B

and fine work on your part.

It is a good shooting sixgun

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, July 02, 2014, 13:04 (3739 days ago) @ Sarge

I have been very fortunate, I own exactly one revolver that doesn't shoot well, a Ruger 32 H&R/32-20 that a local SASS member had cut to 4 5/8" and milled for fixed sights. I have never tried jacketed in it, but every cast bullet I have tried leaded horribly and shot patterns not groups, I have come close to selling it several times but it was a birthday present from my beautiful bride. This Flattop, and my Accusport Bisley are two excellent shooting sixguns, the Bisley once turned in a 1 1/4" 5 shot group with a 289gr SWC loaded over a case of FFFg. I have been wooed by my FA454, and it is the finest gun I have ever owned, but I sure pack this Flattop a lot, so much it is missing bluing. My normal load is the 289gr SWC over 8.5-9.0 grs of Unique, it works, it has always worked, and while I have tried other loads, this I have found to be my best utility load in the 45 Colt.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, July 02, 2014, 17:51 (3739 days ago) @ Dave B

Know what you mean. I picked up a .44 Special Flattop and have been packing it more than anything else for quite a while. Knocking the blue off but I guess it adds character.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, July 02, 2014, 19:47 (3739 days ago) @ Dave B

I have to agree with you that the Acusport Bisley is amazing. It is the best shooting off hand revolver I own. My F/A Model 83 will beat it off a bench but off hand the Bisley beats it.

Art

No Joke

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 10:55 (3738 days ago) @ Art

Art,
For the longest time, when I had very little coin in my pocket, that Accusport Bisley was my go to sixgun for pretty much everything. The only thing I never cared for was the narrow Bisley hammer, but it sure shot good. I will be brutally honest here, I love my FA454, and have no buyers remorse, but it does not shoot any better groups than my Ruger 454 did, and the Ruger was less finicky about ammunition, and I think the cylinder was longer so I didn't have to worry about bullet jump as much as I do now. Having said that, I will say, that I feel the FA will outlast a Ruger if both are fed a steady diet of true 454 loads, and I do feel that if I were so inclined, I could certainly get more velocity out of an FA due to the sheer strength, but I will never sell the Ruger short. In 3500 rounds through mine before I traded it off in a moment of utter stupidity, it had just begin to get a bit more endshake and side to side wobble, but it had zero effect on the accuracy. The only thing about the Ruger that annoyed me, was the fact that I could not use Little Gun powder in it, I would catch burning kernels in the face every time, only sixgun I have owned that I had that problem with, and only that powder. Funny thing about the Accusport Bisley, it will chamber a 454 cartridge loaded with a 415gr bullet.

No Joke

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 11:43 (3738 days ago) @ Dave B

When I bought the Acusport Bisley I turned it over to a friend of mine who does some gun smithing. He sluged the barrel and reamed the cylinder to the proper size. He recut the forcing cone and did a wonderfull action job. It has a 2.5 pound trigger. I put on a Millet rear sight and a Belt Mountain base pin. I load a commercial 250 Grain round nose flat point that has a flat base. I usually use 9 Gr. of Unique and sometimes 17 Grains of 2400. It has very little leading. All in all about my favorite six gun.

Very nice

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 12:08 (3738 days ago) @ Art

I think I am going to return my FA to the factory for some trigger work.

Very nice

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 16:51 (3738 days ago) @ Dave B

I did that a few years ago. Have a lot of family in Wyoming and my father-in-law was still living in Jackson. Freedom is just down the road. I called them and asked if I could drop it off and they could ship it back to me. The very nice lady asked when I would be there and checked with the gun smith. Said if I dropped it off in the mourning I could pick it up that afternoon. They will only reduce the trigger to 3 pounds and it cost me $100.00. When you spend that much for a sixgun it should come with their action job. However, they did a great job and I have a great trigger on my 83.

Art

Very nice

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 22:53 (3738 days ago) @ Art

No argument from me there, North of $2k shouldn't need an action job, it will be a while, if I send it, I want the Colt cylinder fit at the same time.

Good shootin' Dave.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 00:15 (3739 days ago) @ Dave B

Please remind me, what 'flattop .45' do you have?

Thanks!

Thanks

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, July 03, 2014, 10:44 (3738 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot,
I purchased one of the first run with the 5 1/2" barrel, blued, with the 45 ACP cylinder. The thing that really amazes me, is the fact that the ACP cylinder will turn in groups that are as good or better than the 45 Colt.

Flattop .45

by woody, Friday, July 04, 2014, 08:57 (3737 days ago) @ Dave B

I just traded for a stainless FT with both cylinders. Its my summer project to see what shoots best. I already love it. I will probably shoot the ACP cylinder the most.

RSS Feed of thread