.38S&W goodness, courtesy of Buffalo Bore!

by Otony, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 20:52 (3743 days ago)

[image][image]

I love this snubby more and more each day. It doesn't have quite the class of my 1948 Terrier, but it makes me feel very happy. Oh yeah, those are 150 grain semi-wadcutters at 850fps! Undergunned? Naw!

Otony

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 04:21 (3743 days ago) @ Otony

I have a passion for the obscure for some reason. That caliber fits that platform better than the special round.

Sure would be neat to tie an Iver Johnson to a tree and fire one of those with a string LOL

Bob

by Otony, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 10:09 (3742 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I need to post pics of the I-frame Terrier. It is an exact match for the cartridge, even shorter cylinder frame.

It is too bad Charter Arms rimmed 9mm went nowhere. But when they realized they had created a Magnum .38S&W that would fit in the old top breaks they couldn't stop making them fast enough!:-(

Otony

Good lookin' Smith there!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 10:34 (3742 days ago) @ Otony

Good lookin' Smith there! X2, y'betcha----sweet

by John Meeker @, United States, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 12:18 (3742 days ago) @ Hoot

x

Looks great, sounds like a spiffy little carry piece...nm

by Brian A, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 21:42 (3742 days ago) @ Otony

nm

by Catoosa, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 21:47 (3742 days ago) @ Otony

Otony, are those the original grips?

That looks to be a pretty late production J-frame, in which the Buffalo Stompers should be fine. Mine is a 1956 improved-I-frame, and I'm a little leery of them in that little gun. My load is a 155 grain SWC over 3.2 grains of Unique, which clocks 725-730 FPS. It's accurate, but a little sticky when extracting all five at a time so I think I'll just be satisfied with what I've got.

by Otony, Sunday, June 29, 2014, 23:23 (3742 days ago) @ Catoosa

Those are the original grips, with a "shouldn't be there" short butt frame. I have a set of zebrawood grips from Jay Scott that are meant for a long frame square butt J that are going to be cut down to fit, so as to save wear and tear on the originals. Oddly enough, I find that I have less of a need for a Tyler T when running a short butt, but I'm not entirely sure why.

As for the beans, I am completely comfortable with the Buffalo Bore stuff out of it. No noticeable issues whatsoever and it is supposed to be standard pressure. I highly doubt I would shoot it in my '48 though, I see no need to stress a classic that way.

I've plenty of brass, and intend to build some loads similar to yours. I do want to try working with the British MKI flat nosed 200 grain slugs. It would be nice to do something a bit quicker than the Brits employed, but I see no need to totally reinvent the wheel

Otony

RSS Feed of thread