Ruger Ranch Rifle...primer question and brass catcher???

by rob @, Monday, March 05, 2012, 21:32 (4459 days ago)

A couple questions. I'm about to start working up loads for my 6.8 SPC Ranch Rifle and would like some kind of brass catcher. The typical AR type won't work because the bolt handle cycles with the bolt. I've seen some kind of plastic box for the minis but I wonder if rigging up some simple PVC frame with a sheet or net fixed to it might not be better. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, when it comes to Mini 14's, are there any primer issues I need to know like only mil spec primers or never mil spec, etc. not sure if the hammers hit excessively hard or not hard enough for mil spec, etc.

I have used standard CCI SR primers since 1976 in my

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, March 05, 2012, 22:05 (4459 days ago) @ rob

Mini14 5.56x45. Things might have changed but I would use standard primers. Never used a brass catcher on the gun. I have placed a tarp on the ground to catch brass and I have a wire mesh box I made for use when shooting from the bench.

Dillon sells a pecan picker that works great for retrieving

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 05, 2012, 22:49 (4459 days ago) @ Cherokee

spent brass.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Dillon sells a pecan picker that works great for retrieving

by rob @, Monday, March 05, 2012, 22:52 (4459 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I don't mind bending over and picking it up...it's loosing a case or two that really chaps me:)

Shuulda bought that 35 rem

by Bud, Tuesday, March 06, 2012, 08:00 (4458 days ago) @ rob

then you wouldn't have to worry about where the brass is. Just giving you a ration Rob......

Brass catcher???

by Frank S, Thursday, March 08, 2012, 05:05 (4456 days ago) @ rob

I spread an old sheet out to make finding my brass a breeze!

Brass catcher???

by rob @, Thursday, March 08, 2012, 16:10 (4456 days ago) @ Frank S

My only problem with the sheet/tarp idea is I do most of my shooting at a private gun club but its set up with benches and such and I usually don't have the range to myself. It would have to cover 4 benches as this little rifle chunks the brass straight out to the right about 20 feet! It is, however, pretty consistent as to where it lands. I really want some kind of net I can set on my bench. Probably gonna have to get some PVC and design my own.

Brass catcher???

by TomC, High Ridge Missouri, Friday, March 09, 2012, 09:05 (4455 days ago) @ rob

I stole this idea from this video. Works great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeAyK7FjtM

Brass catcher???

by rob @, Friday, March 09, 2012, 18:06 (4455 days ago) @ TomC

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking about...thanks Tom. There is a plastic box type clamp on brass catcher for the mini-14's but I suspect it may cause malfunctions and possibly deform case mouths.

Brass catcher???

by Catoosa, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 21:25 (4454 days ago) @ rob

When working up loads for my .38 Super I rigged up a "deflector" out of a metal frame (old real estate sigh) with a plastic shower curtain draped over it. Dropped the cases right down in a pile beside my bench.

A lot depends on the gun. Two of my 1911s will almost throw cases in a 5-gallon bucket. The third one throws them in any direction at random. My Mini-14 drops cases in a pile about 6-7 feet to the right front. My SKS throws cases mostly to the right front, and about halfway to the county line.

Brass catcher???

by rob @, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 21:58 (4454 days ago) @ Catoosa

This Ranch Rifle throws them straight to the right so hard and far it's hard to determine which end is more dangerous...the muzzle or ejection port:) I know one of the mods a lot of folks do on these is a smaller gas port bushing to limit pressure. Cuts down on brass trajectory and "supposedly" makes optics last longer. Not sure about the latter but I guess it's possible. An old real estate frame makes sense. I'm gonna do something similar to this or what Tom posted. Thanks,
Rob

RSS Feed of thread