Throwing Iron

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, June 21, 2014, 21:56 (3750 days ago)

With my Nordic blood and the wife’s Apache/Comanche roots, it was inevitable we’d have tomahawks or belt axes around the place.We watched a couple of seasons of the History Channel's Vikings and that sealed the deal. I gathered up three 'hawks off tables at the local outdoor junk sale, along with an old ‘Cera Hunter II’ Chinese Bowie that I originally purchased as a rough knife for the pickup toolbox. I took the scales off the bowie and replaced them with a length of rubber hose.
[image]

I don’t have 50 bucks in all of them.
[image]

Two of the ‘hawks are cheap throwers, but the third is a good Frontier style ‘hawk with some serious steel in it. It will get razor sharp with a little work and the sparks really flew when I beveled its edge on a belt sander. It has an obvious hammer forged axe with a ‘G’ stamped in the head. My wife wanted ‘her own axe’ and I gave her this one.
[image]
[image]

I threw knives as a kid and I've watched various videos of rendezvous contests, where they toss the knife or hawk just hard enough to stick it in the end of a log. I figure these are weapons not lawn darts, so I throw hard enough to bust ribs and bury the iron. I don’t claim any expertise at this but at 7 yards I am pretty certain of accomplishing that.
[image]

This is all great fun.

tossing 'Hawks and rendevous...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 00:20 (3750 days ago) @ Sarge

You missed the handle cutting part...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I used my hawk to hunt ground squirrels at FT

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 09:57 (3749 days ago) @ Sarge

Hunter-Liggett in 1976-77 and actually got a couple. Great stress release.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

DANG IT SARGE!

by MR, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 11:43 (3749 days ago) @ Sarge

I have a CS Rifleman's hawk that rides behind the back seat of Old Paintless. But it's more a small axe than anything. I've used it on hard as Chuck Norris two year dead oak and it worked great. Now I have to order a frontier hawk just for flingin'.

Throwing Iron

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 21:03 (3743 days ago) @ Sarge

I mentioned the other day that I threw the cheapest no-name hawk we have, and the $15 junk sale Bowie, at an old galvanized water tank I was hauling off. I was able to pierce it almost every time. The effectiveness of these basic melee weapons didn’t sink in on me until today, when I shot the tank a couple of times with my old Star Model F using Remington Thunderbolt 22 LR ammo. The hole above the 22 dents are from a tomahawk and two below them were made by the bowie.
[image]

RSS Feed of thread