Colt new service going rate?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 20:07 (3753 days ago)

Saw this on a local board and was curious on what you fellers thought it was worth

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/349702-colt-model-1917-45-acp-...

He lists is as a 1917, but looks to be a new service, although I'm no Colt expert! It also looks like the back of the cylinder is too close to the recoil shield to be an acp cut for moon clips. So, I'm wondering if it's really a .45 Colt...

Any thoughts?

Assuming it is all original

by cubrock, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 20:40 (3753 days ago) @ Slow Hand

and not a parts gun... The blue looks original, though the picture don't do a good job of anything more than hinting at the amount of wear and freckling on the gun. The right side, in particular, looks like it might have some finish loss/damage, but without better pics, hard to say. If it is in excellent mechanical shape and as nice as it appears to be in the pic of the left side, then I'd guess $800ish, maybe more depending on exactly how nice it is.

Hard to tell with the pics, but it looks like it is a commercial gun to me, too, based on what markings I can see and markings I don't see that should be on a Model 1917.

Yeah, without a pic of the bottom of the grip frame

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 21:36 (3753 days ago) @ cubrock

we can't see if there is a missing lanyard ring, or the US property marks with the serial number. The grips aren't correct for a 1917 either.

Yeah, without a pic of the bottom of the grip frame

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, June 18, 2014, 22:22 (3753 days ago) @ Andrew

Thinking similar thoughts. Some freckling is evident, but it looks like very little wear. Obviously not USGI grips. He's a little south of where I'm working so I may try and go see it sometime. I've only had a couple of big framed Colts. Neat old guns for sure.

It looks like it has great potential

by cubrock, Thursday, June 19, 2014, 05:44 (3753 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I would make try to make a deal if it wasn't far from me. If the whole gun is as nice as it looks like it might be, it will be a nice addition to your shooting collection. I really like New Services. :)

Colt new service going rate?

by Charles, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 14:26 (3749 days ago) @ Slow Hand

It is hard to tell from the pics. The 1917 has the Colt "War Finish" which is very coarse and easy to spot. A look at the barrel below the front sight will tell story as the polish marks run fore and aft there. If they don't it is either a refinish or a commercial model.

If the barrel, cylinder and action are in good shape, I would offer him $600.00. If he balked at that, I would go with the $650.00, as a shooter it would be worth that. You can by repro 1917 smooth walnut grips and lanyard swivel from GunParts Corp.

A commercial model or an unmessed with 1917 is worth considerably more than the asking price.

For reference, here is my 1917 with original finish and markings. [image]

RSS Feed of thread