Found a Redhawk (!) Now for a grip question

by anachronism, Sunday, March 04, 2012, 18:56 (4460 days ago)

After months of searching, I finally found a used Redhawk locally. I cleaned it up, touched up the bluing (yeah!), and cleaned up the trigger a bit. The poor thing was suffering from WD40 poisoning, but it's much better now. Anyway, grips. It came with a set of Rubber Hogues, which I detest on a Redhawk, the finger grooves make the gun sit too low in my hand, and makes it tough to control at times. To make a long story short, it needs a set of wood grips, without finger grooves. I've looked at Herrett Ropers, and these are the grips I really should buy, but the price tag leaves me a bit cold. I'm aware of the quality, but $100.00 for grips makes me uncomfortable. Any suggestions? I do want the backstrap open, and am even considering ordering a set of custom Hogues without the finger grooves, though at $80.00, the price isn't much better than Herretts. I freely admit that my valuation is stuck on about $20.00 years ago.

I have the Pachmayr rubber grips on both my Red's

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, March 04, 2012, 19:24 (4460 days ago) @ anachronism

Not purdy...not some people's likeing...but they work for me just fine.

RE: Grips

by Matt/PA @, Lehigh Valley, PA, Sunday, March 04, 2012, 20:22 (4460 days ago) @ anachronism

I have a set of Ruger factory smooth rosewood grips if you want them. $35, shipped. Just email me if you want them and we can discuss off-line.

Matt/PA

If you really like this gun, you will find that spending 100

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, March 04, 2012, 21:22 (4460 days ago) @ anachronism

or more on stocks is not a big deal. I have a set of Scott Kolar Walnut stocks on a flat top 44 the price does not phase me a bit. I will have another set.
Look around for used wood stocks as well I have found several sets that way at shows in gun and pawn shops... But calling Rod Herrett and ordering a set of his extra fancy walnut Jordon Troopers is one of my favorite things I have done.
[image]
Scott Kolar Customs on FT 44
[image]
Ted Adamovich "John Taffin" profile Walnut customs on OM SBH
[image]
BJ Snow Customs on Field grade FA ( now in AK Ray's collection)
[image]
No name 20.00 Walnut stocks purchased from Woody
[image]
Bullshooter's Walnut stocks from Dick Thompson (he sells semi finished too)
[image]
More Bullshooter's walnut for my TRR8
[image]
10.00 off Ebay J. Scott's for a semi custom 629

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I saw those FA grips and was thinking that they looked

by AkRay, Monday, March 05, 2012, 00:50 (4460 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

familiar, then I read the caption beneath. What does a guy have to do to order some Bullshooter stocks from Dick Thompson, Rob? They look very functional.

Dealing with Dick Thompson

by Bud, Monday, March 05, 2012, 08:45 (4459 days ago) @ AkRay

is always a pleasure. He's a good man and wants you to be happy with his products. You will not be disappointed.

Dick's number

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 05, 2012, 09:42 (4459 days ago) @ AkRay

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Found a Redhawk (!) Now for a grip question

by Sarge, Tuesday, March 06, 2012, 01:11 (4459 days ago) @ anachronism

I either run the factory wood grips, or the Butler Creek grip, on the Redhawk. The latter is the best grip I found for hot 300+ grain loads in these revolvers and one of the few that are still useful for DA shooting.

RSS Feed of thread