Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper

by StoneWolf, Saturday, May 31, 2014, 17:48 (3771 days ago)

I recently picked up this neat little gun and was finally able to shoot it today. I love the feel of the birds head grip, the trigger was nice but there is one slight problem. The shopkeeper has a 3" barrel and the ejector rod doesn't fully eject the spent cases and the chambers of the cylinder are so tight it's hard to pull them out the rest of the way. It was actually easier to take the cylinder out. Otherwise I love how it shoots, very accurate too.

Any suggestions on extracting the shells? Dad suggesting polishing the chambers which I'll have to do later.

I looked up some photos of that model....

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, May 31, 2014, 18:31 (3771 days ago) @ StoneWolf

and the base pin is pretty short already. If I was just a few hundredths short of complete ejection, I'd be tempted to shorten it a little more in addition to removing some metal from the backside of the ejector rod head. You could also just drill the ejector rod head to clear the base pin.

I would definitely polish those chambers, if they're not turning loose of your empties w/o a fight.

Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper

by Mike Barranti, Saturday, May 31, 2014, 19:52 (3771 days ago) @ StoneWolf

All my chambers were sticky like yours. I chucked a split rod in my drill press with a piece of folded emery cloth in it. I dabbed some oil on it and with the press running, ran it into my chambers. Didn't take long and after a few minutes work, had all six slicked up. A range trip confirmed that was all that was needed to shuck the shells clean out.

.22 Shorts.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, May 31, 2014, 21:34 (3771 days ago) @ StoneWolf

:-)

Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, June 01, 2014, 05:09 (3771 days ago) @ StoneWolf

Make sure the end of the ejector rod is square and sharp edged.

When you rotate the cylinder to line up the chamber to eject. wiggle the cylinder as the ejector rod is entering so it catches the mouth of the spent cartridge. It'll send them flying out.

Use 600 grit sandpaper and crocus cloth and polish the chambers.

Bob

The ejector rod is neat.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 08:01 (3768 days ago) @ Sarge

It's sort of a 'hollow' crescent allowing it to slide past the base pin and also allows the base pin to be removed without disassembly. Boge has a very clear picture over in the Gunblast article here => http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-BearcatShopkeeper.htm

RSS Feed of thread