Texas carry question

by stonewalrus, Thursday, May 29, 2014, 17:52 (3773 days ago)

BIL is having surgery in Houston in July. Is it legal to carry in hospitals in Texas?

Never been in one that did not have a sign.

by MR, Thursday, May 29, 2014, 19:17 (3773 days ago) @ stonewalrus

"You may not carry handguns in hospitals or nursing homes, amusement parks, places of worship or at government meetings
if signs are posted prohibiting them.
(see Texas Penal Code § 30.06 requirements"

That is what I figured but thought I would ask. Thanks.

by stonewalrus, Thursday, May 29, 2014, 19:53 (3773 days ago) @ MR

More concerned about not having the gun stolen while I am at the hospital than whether I can carry there.

Mark, what is legal length on knife blades for concealed

by stonewalrus, Thursday, May 29, 2014, 20:21 (3773 days ago) @ MR

carry? Picked up a nifty Cold Steel Hold Out lockblade cheap the other day...
In Tennessee it becomes unlimited July 1.

5 1/2 inches. No daggers.

by MR, Thursday, May 29, 2014, 21:03 (3773 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Doesn't make any difference if it's concealed or not.

) "Illegal knife" means a:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;

(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;

(D) bowie knife;

(E) sword; or

(F) spear.

(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument

I carry a Kershaw 1940st assisted opening every day. Other than courthouse and airport, everywhere. I do not use pocket clips on folders. Texas doesn't make a difference between concealed and showing knives, and I don't like them showing. Although taking it out in a restaurant to cut a tougher than expected piece of meat is not unknown and hasn't gotten any notice. Nobody worries much about knives in your pocket here, other than courthouses and airports.

Can't conceal a fixed blade, though ...

by Flatlander, Thursday, May 29, 2014, 21:10 (3773 days ago) @ MR

Regardless of whether double edged. If I recall correctly.

5 1/2 inches. No daggers.

by bj2, Thursday, May 29, 2014, 21:31 (3773 days ago) @ MR

(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

It is hard to define "dagger, dirk, stiletto and poniard" except that this is essentially taken to prohibit double-edged blades. Otherwise the only limit is 5.5" length. Assisted openers, various types of locks, serrated blades, even automatic knives are allowed. But note that there are some cities with more restrictive laws. I don't know why "swords" are prohibited since the 5.5" limit pretty much eliminates them. Similarly there are lots of knives in use that look like Bowie knives, but the 5.5" limit would eliminate any real Bowie knife. Hard to understand why Bowie knives would be singled out since Jim Bowie has such a connection with Texas.

I don't know of anything in the law that specifically addresses fixed blades vs. folders, or concealed vs. openly displayed.

I have heard that San Antonio and Corpus Christi have more restrictive local ordnances, there may be others.

Bowie knives were banned for the same reason

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, May 30, 2014, 07:25 (3773 days ago) @ bj2

that "assault rifles" are under the "gun" now, FEAR. They are brutally effective and anything with that appellation or general appearance was deemed too deadly to permit to the general public.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The statute.

by MR, Friday, May 30, 2014, 07:45 (3773 days ago) @ MR

Well shucks - time for another knife

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 30, 2014, 08:22 (3773 days ago) @ MR

My CS Hold Out folder has a 6" blade. All of my other carry knives are under 4" (current legal length in TN). :-D

Cold Steel makes at least one specifically to meet

by MR, Friday, May 30, 2014, 09:16 (3773 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Texas regs. They make several 5 1/2 inch folders.

But you know the Emerson CQC 8 has a 3.9 inch blade.
I just treated myself to a Zero Tolerance 301st. Should be here tomorrow.

Col;d Steel XL Vaquero

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 30, 2014, 10:03 (3773 days ago) @ MR

theseare very sharp should come with a pack of band aids...don't ask me how I know...
Extra Large Voyager Vaquero Serrated #29TXVS
[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I don't understand serrated blades or know anybody who likes

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 30, 2014, 10:10 (3773 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Them. My Hold Out is serrated but I bought it because knife center had it at about 1/3 regular price. With a 6" blade it is not really an EDC anyway. It resides in my Maxpedition bag that follows me around.

You know ME:-) I prefer them. they cut better! lots of small

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 30, 2014, 10:52 (3773 days ago) @ stonewalrus

sharp edges. Many people are intimidated by the thought of sharpening a serrated edge, but in truth they need much less work than most smooth blades to keep sharp.
One could argue that ALL blades are serrated, on the microscopic level.
For cutting line, rope, cartilage, bone, muscle and soft tissue nothing beats a serrated edge for it's ease of cutting. When I lived in AK, I helped to process several dozen moose with various brands and styles of blades...this is how I came to be such a fan of serrated Cold Steel blades.

--

Good to know - my fear has always been sharpening

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 30, 2014, 11:59 (3773 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I used to do a fair amount of woodcarving which probably doesn't help my views of serrated blades any.

The strange thing I am seeing on Fleabay and knife center is that the serrated ones are frequently a lot cheaper. I would think putting the serrations on them would make them more expensive.

knife collectors usually don't like them

by bj2, Sunday, June 01, 2014, 00:31 (3771 days ago) @ stonewalrus

When I first started buying more modern knives something like 20+years ago I thought the combo-edge was great, being the best of both worlds. I still have one of my early knives with combo edge, but I also recalled that in all the years I carried it I never cut anything with the serrated part. Nowadays I almost completely refuse to buy a knife with serrations. I like the plain edge part better and without serrations the plain edge part is longer. I think collectors like the plain edge without serrations because the serrations take away from the plain edge part, serrations are viewed as hard to sharpen, and some people think serrations take away from the looks of the blade.

Recently I traded for a Spyderco Ladybug with fully serrated blade. I was at a fast food restaurant with my daughter and showed her the knife. I had her pull out her Spyderco Tenacious and we did an informal test. I rolled up a paper napkin and stretched it between my hands while she cut it. Her plain edge Tenacious cut through the napkin faster than the serrated Ladybug. This might be a questionable test because most serrated knives have larger serrations than the Ladybug has. She ended up taking the Ladybug away from me anyway.

On the other hand I have some old normal dinner knives, not steak knives, with tiny serrations and they continue to cut well. I've also read that people were able to cut hard materials such as large zip ties easier with serrations than with a plain edge. I also have the theory that a dull serrated knife will still cut certain things while a dull plain edge won't. Also I think with proper equipment it is not difficult to sharpen a serrated edge.

I bought a cheap knife with fully serrated blade to carry and try out to see if I can find something that it works better for.

The coarsely serrated blade on my Leatherman Wave does a

by stonewalrus, Sunday, June 01, 2014, 07:25 (3771 days ago) @ bj2

Great job on slicing up cardboard. Better than any plain blade I have tried.

a sharp plain blade would do better

by bj2, Sunday, June 01, 2014, 19:39 (3770 days ago) @ stonewalrus

(I have a Leatherman Charge which is similar to the Wave.)

The advantage to the Leatherman is that the blade is relatively thin which helps it go through cardboard. But a sharp plane blade will "push cut" cardboard and doesn't need to be sliced (sawing action). In other words it just goes straight through the cardboard only touching one point on the blade. The people that do knife tests on the internet tell me that a good high end steel can cut several hundred feet of cardboard without becoming completely dull.

Check out this video for some cardboard cutting. The knife that he is using has probably the best stainless steel you can get in a production or custom knife at this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY5g93EJcuU

Now once a blade becomes a little dull, the serrations will still cut well. I remember when I was a kid I would always go into the kitchen and grab an old steak knife when I needed to cut some cardboard.

Yabbut....

by Catoosa, Sunday, June 01, 2014, 21:40 (3770 days ago) @ bj2

I once had to shave in an airport restroom with the knife blade of my Leatherman. I would shore hate to try that with a serrated blade!

Tom, I'll bet you remember that trip.

Yup. Part of the reason I use the serrated blade for

by stonewalrus, Sunday, June 01, 2014, 22:31 (3770 days ago) @ Catoosa

Cardboard is I don't want to dull the other blades.

Serretions cut flesh hard tissue rope line and bone better

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 06, 2014, 14:25 (3766 days ago) @ bj2

easier that straight edge. An old sailor trick is to use a file on their straight edge knives to better facilitate cutting of ropes or lines.

--

Texas carry question

by Charles, Friday, May 30, 2014, 11:02 (3773 days ago) @ stonewalrus

No.

RSS Feed of thread