Anyone have any experience with S30V blades

by MR, Monday, May 26, 2014, 20:27 (3776 days ago)

in particular the Zero Tolerance knives.
I've been oogleing and googleing them for a while now. In particular a 301ST.

My Buck Vantage has an S30V blade....

by Glen, Monday, May 26, 2014, 20:46 (3776 days ago) @ MR

....and I like it very much. It takes an excellent edge and holds it very well.

I have several blades with that steel...I concur with Glen.

by Caz, Monday, May 26, 2014, 21:20 (3776 days ago) @ Glen

nm

This Browning blade steel chart is pretty good

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 05:55 (3776 days ago) @ MR

Thanks guys. I've been seriously dancing around

by MR, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 08:35 (3776 days ago) @ MR

the Zero Tolerance for a while now. A narrow window of opportunity to buy one at 55% of normal price on one of the overstocked sell off sites flashed by. That's still certainly not cheap, but was it going to be a "something for something" or just a another "hot air marketing dream" was the buy or walk away. It sounds like it is something to own at least one of. I hit it. It's on the way.

search the net for "kershawguy"

by bj2, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 21:47 (3774 days ago) @ MR

He sells blems from the factory at very good prices.

Kershaw makes good knives, ZT is their upscale brand and ZT knives have a very good reputation. (I'm carrying a ZT 0561 this week.)

S30V is a good steel, one of the best relatively common production steels. It is a stainless steel that holds a good edge, but the tradeoff in knife steels is that a steel that is hard enough to hold a good edge, in particular a stainless steel, will be a little bit brittle. This is not a problem for a hunting knife but for a survival knife that you might hammer on or pry with you would want a different steel. S30V is supposed to be a step above 154CM, which is about equal to ATS34, which used to be the favorite of custom knifemakers.

You can check some of the better online knife retailers for comparison prices:
bladehq.com
cutleryshoppe.com
knifeworks.com
newgraham.com
gpknives.com
howesknifeshop.com

Anyone have any experience with S30V blades

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 20:13 (3775 days ago) @ MR

Just bought a Benchmade Bushman with S30V but have not used it very much. Seems like very good steel. I have read that some believe it is the best knife steel going.

RSS Feed of thread