I don't get this idea that polymer guns...

by rob @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 17:07 (3776 days ago)

Flex a bit and give lighter perceived recoil. I say hogwash. I've had several Glock 19's, an XD-9 and an S&W M&P as well as Browning Hi-Powers, 3 Beretta 92's a Sig P229 and a P226. As for .45's, I've had multiple 1911's, 2 P220 Compacts, an XD 45, Glock 36 and a Gen-4 21. I have yet to shoot a polymer gun and think to myself there is a noticeable reduction in recoil with the polymer guns. On the contrary, my P226 is probably the most comfortable 9mm I've ever fired, followed closely by the 92. I don't recall the G21 or other polymer .45's shooting softer than the Sigs or 1911's either. But it seems I read this all the time, this time in an article written by Charles Petty in the most recent Handloader on breaking in a handgun. Polymer guns may have some advantages (despite the lack of slick trigger actions and aesthetics) but a noticeable lack of recoil is not one of them. Climbing off the soapbox now.

It may be more shape but I see a noticeable difference

by stonewalrus, Monday, May 26, 2014, 17:20 (3776 days ago) @ rob

Between shooting my son's Micro Desert Eagle and my LCP and his is several ounces heavier. Can't so much speak to the other guns. I have shot more polymers than steel. I was pleasantly surprised with my son's shorty 1911. To me it was more comfortable to shoot than his Glock 27. I think fit may be more important than composition.

by uncowboy, Monday, May 26, 2014, 17:33 (3776 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Well I have 10 years competing with 1911's with full power loads. Myself and all my friends agree with me that if we had a Glock 45 at the time we would never have went with the 1911 format. Yes there is less felt recoil with a Glock 45. It is VERY noticeable when shooting fast. Glock have been winning the steel shoots but they do it with a trigger that have nothing in common with a Glock. Just look at what Dave Sivigney has accomplished with a stock Glock over the years. Having started out with one instead of a 1911. J.Michael

I could never get used to my G21...

by rob @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 18:07 (3776 days ago) @ uncowboy

I bought a Gen-4 so it would be easier to reach the trigger, added a Glock factory 3.5 lbs disconnecter, dry fired the heck out of it and prayed over it trying to get used to it. I dropped it and went back to the 1911. I can empty a 1911 pretty fast accurately and I'm not sure I can double tap the 21 as fast as I could empty a 1911. I just do not get along well with a Glock at all. I had to focus on so many other things to shoot a Glock well that if it recoiled less I'm not sure I would have noticed it. I did, however, seriously like my XD-45. The only reason I sold it was it wouldn't function with cast bullets and that's what I wanted. I'm not sure I could say it recoiled less than a 1911 though.

That may be it...

by rob @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 17:43 (3776 days ago) @ stonewalrus

To me a Glock 19 is more snappy than the P229. The latter is probably a little heavier but I don't have them anymore to compare. Other things may play into it as well like recoil spring weight and like you said, ergonomics. I know I don't have the shooting experience of Charles Petty and he may be more in tune to little peculiarities that I don't notice but I suspect if you gave a shooting amateur a Glock 19 and a P229 or a G17 and P226 and let him/her shoot them side by side, they wouldn't say the Glock recoils less. I just suspect there are two many variables to say polymer shoots softer than metal frame guns because it flexes. That's my thoughts anyhow:)

by StoneWolf, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 13:07 (3776 days ago) @ stonewalrus

The problem comparing my Micro DE to your LCP is they are completely different designs. I have shot a friends 9mm mid sized Glock that was similar in size to my High Power and there was little to no difference in recoil for me. Honestly until you have two identical guns with the only difference being one polymer and one steel, this will remain a hypothetical question. I think ammo makes more of a difference than polymer vs steel.

That is exactly what I'm trying to say...

by rob @, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 23:34 (3775 days ago) @ StoneWolf

If I take a G-19 and a P229 and shoot them side by side, to me the Sig recoils less with the same ammo. They have apx the same barrel lengths. You would have to have two absolutely identical guns with the same overall weight and ballance, same reciprocating mass, same bore centerline over grip, everything, except one would have to be polymer and one a metal like scandium or titanium that could magically weigh exactly the same and then you might be able to make that conclusion. Then, you just might get some cushioning of the slide slamming back in the frame to offset the metal on metal recoil of slide, frame and spring. But on the other hand, the all steel or alloy/steel guns are heavier and that tends to absorb recoil as well. My wife is not so fond of shooting a Glock 19 but finds both the 1911 and the P226 to be favorites of hers at the range and she does quite well with them. I'm certainly not trying to be disrespectful to anyone (although I probably shouldn't have used the term hogwash). I just see this repeated frequently in gun mags, and while I don't shoot as much as the average gun writer, I have owned a quite a few of these guns fired a few thousand rounds through most of them and I just don't find this polymer flexy thing to be an issue in reducing recoil in my own personal experience.

That is exactly what I'm trying to say...

by Jared, Monday, June 02, 2014, 09:29 (3770 days ago) @ rob

Kathryn finds a Glock 9mm to be one of the more uncomfortable 9mms to shoot. I think it is because of her small fingers and the undercut on the trigger guard don't match up. They tend to hit her knuckle. And we all know she wasn't recoil shy in days past. The two guns I recall her not likening the recoil on were both her dads. A Glock 17P and a CZ83 double stack .380. That CZ aHad a strange recoil to it, it even bothered me but not on the hand it had a strange recoil that could be felt in the wrist .

She is definitely not afraid of recoil:)

by rob @, Monday, June 02, 2014, 10:14 (3770 days ago) @ Jared

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, May 26, 2014, 18:42 (3776 days ago) @ rob

I've shot 1911 guns for over 50 years, really like them and the wonderful triggers that can be achieved. However, at this stage in my life, I have found I can't shoot them very well any more. I shopped around and discovered the XDM, renting the 9mm 5.25 at the range. Wow, good consistent shooting. Boght one, then a 45 ACP 5.25 after more experience with the 9. Aftermarket trigger at 3-3.5# installed in both and I couldn't be happier, unless I was 30 years younger. Still shoot 1911's for fun but the XDM's for match or serious purposes. Recoil, don't really notice a difference. My XDM's are great cast bullets shooters.

The XDm has been improved to resolve....

by rob @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 19:21 (3776 days ago) @ Cherokee

the issue with cast in the original XD45's. There is an added ramp (on the slide or barrel...I don't remember which anymore) that depresses the nose of the top round in the magazine down on extraction/ejection and moves forward out of the way as the slide moves back forward to pick up the next round. It seems not all the XD's had that issue. Mine sure did and was so bad it beat the heck out of the rear of the magazine to the point I had to press it flat again on a table, even with jacketed ball ammo and It would dent the bullet noses as well. I'd like to have one of the new XDm 5.25 45's but I need to limit my gun buying. The XDm's are the exception to the rule in polymer guns for me...I definitely like them. I liked my XD 9mm as well.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, May 26, 2014, 23:26 (3776 days ago) @ rob

They are just another thing to adapt to. I put it off a long time and onlt started shooting Glocks about 6 years ago. Hated them at first, shot them to the exclusion of everything else and now carry one beating around the farm.

Speaking for myself, I never noticed a substantial difference in recoil between platforms, with one exception. The fullsize M&P 45 squirmed around more than any other 45 I've ever shot including lightweight Officers and the XDs. And I downright like a G30.

Reckon my hand just wasn't ground to fit that particular Smiff.

by rob @, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 07:21 (3776 days ago) @ Sarge

I just don't fit Glocks. The small frames give me slide bite and the large frames (SF or Gen4 even) are too much a reach to the trigger. I don't really have a problem with polymer guns at all. I'm just not sure I buy the argument the polymer reduces recoil or that a novice would notice it. Recoil is subjective and there are too many variables that can affect it such as how high or low the centerline of the bore is to the hand, grip shape and width, overall weight of the gun, etc.

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 08:29 (3776 days ago) @ rob

I think the KEY word in this matter is PERCEIVED...FWIW :-|

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 09:32 (3776 days ago) @ Lee J.

That there is the key - perceived. Comfortable grip shape and uncomfortable recoil are both matters of personal perception. What one person "absolutely hates" is likely to be something that another person "absolutely loves". Not all hands are created equal. :-)

I think you are correct Lee...

by rob @, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 09:37 (3776 days ago) @ Lee J.

I just don't think the polymer factor contributes as much as other variables.

I SAY HOGWASH TO

by SIXGUNNER @, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 10:05 (3776 days ago) @ rob

YOUR HOGWASH. BILL LAUGHRIDGE OF CYLINDER & SLIDE WAS THE FIRST TO AGREE WITH ME THAT POLYMER GUNS DEFINITELY FLEX REDUCING RECOIL.

It's still subjective...

by rob @, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 23:00 (3775 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

It is absolutely impossible to scientifically document that. As much as I respect you and Bill Laughridge AND Charles Petty, I think its subjective and every single gun model has its own virtues or vices that will contribute to a perceived increase or decrease in recoil.

It's still subjective...

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 10:33 (3775 days ago) @ rob

IT SHOULD BE RELATIVELY EASY TO SHOW POLYMER FRAMES FLEX. THE INTERESTING EXPERIMENT WOULD BE USING THREE 1911 .45s , ONE STEEL, ONE ALLOY , AND ONE POLYMER, FRAMES. MEASURE THE FLEXING AND SEE IF THE SUBJECTIVE MIND TELLS US ANYTHING ABOUT PERCEIVED RECOIL.

I would certainly agree with that...

by rob @, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 11:54 (3775 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

And it would be interesting. It might even change my mind:)

I would certainly agree with that...

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 12:56 (3775 days ago) @ rob

AT LEAST WE WOULD BE COMPARING APPLES TO APPLES.

It's still subjective...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 16:24 (3774 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

That would be an interesting test. I have zero experience with them, but I believe Lone Wolf makes aluminum Glock frames. That might add another possible test to the mix.

"But, does it really matter?"

by Charles, Friday, May 30, 2014, 11:05 (3773 days ago) @ rob

The plastic pistols are what they are and have a place in this world.

To me, no...

by rob @, Friday, May 30, 2014, 16:03 (3772 days ago) @ Charles

But suppose some young woman buys a first gun based on the "it's plastic so it kicks less" model. Or some husband or boyfriend tries to tell his wife/girlfriend "you need this, it's plastics so it kicks less". Having worked as a range officer and behind the counter in a large gun store I can tell you they habitually try to buy them either a pink Keltec that she CANT rack the slide on, or some other gun based on something they read but their ego is right in the way of getting her what she needs or wants and a knowledgeable person behind the counter is helpless trying to convince him what might just be best for her is the all steel or aluminum alloy .38 she doesn't want to put back in the cabinet. I'm just a stickler for facts. Prove it first or say it truthfully, as in "it feels like maybe the polymer frame absorbs some of the recoil". Facts are facts, regardless of what we think or know, but what we claim to present as fact should be properly established as such before we accept it as such. Maybe I nitpick too much:)

RSS Feed of thread