I have an itch for a .38 S&W....

by Otony, Sunday, May 25, 2014, 23:28 (3777 days ago)

NOT a .38 Special. Nope, the short, fat, original .38 Smith & Wesson.

So far I've accumulated 500 pieces of Winchester brass, and 500 pieces of Starline.

Also have 155 rounds of loaded .38 S&W, 50 by Remington, 100 by Magtech. And 5 Buffalo Bore!

There also exists here a new set of Lee carbide .38 S&W dies. I am in the process of finding a suitable 200 grain mold in the British MKI style, but until then I've found a caster who can provide that bullet, and four other designs suitable for reloading the .38 S&W round.

What I don't have is a darn resolver to shoot that silly short round. Looking for a Terrier built on an I-frame puhleeze!

Otony

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, May 26, 2014, 00:46 (3777 days ago) @ Otony

I HAVE A HALF-DOZEN COLT AND SMITH .38 S&Ws, INCLUDING A BANKER'S SPECIAL AND A TERRIER. THEY ALL SHOOT JUST FINE WITH STANDARD .38 SPECIAL CAST BULLETS.

Very good to know.....

by Otony, Monday, May 26, 2014, 00:53 (3777 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

.....and I thank you profusely for that tidbit of information, sir.

I may pick up one of the 200 grain molds just to play Super Police, but it's good to know that there is a huge variety of other usable slugs.

Otony

If you have a M&P in the Special

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 06:42 (3777 days ago) @ Otony

I have seen the 38 S&W cylinders on the net. Seems like Sarco had some new ones a few years ago. Should be an easy conversion. IF they are the same length. I think they are because I bought a new 5 inch Victory model barrel from Numrich a few years ago and it fit the M&P perfect with its 38 special cylinder (minimal fitting).

Bob

I do believe I have satisfied my itch for the .380/200

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, May 26, 2014, 08:50 (3777 days ago) @ Otony

They are the same length...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, May 26, 2014, 11:09 (3777 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

.38 Snort & Wobble

by JLF @, Monday, May 26, 2014, 11:53 (3777 days ago) @ Otony

Older J-frames abound, especially shooter-grade guns, because collectors shun them, and shooters who are not undaunted by common sense avoid them as well. Cast about, and ye shall be rewarded.

JLF

by Catoosa, Monday, May 26, 2014, 12:44 (3777 days ago) @ Otony

Otony, if you decide to go light for a plinking and small game load, Magtech markets a 146 grain RNL bullet, the same as is loaded in their .38 S&W factory load. Even if you juice it up a little it still shoots to most fixed sights.

Also don't forget to try a hard-cast 158 grain SWC. Most of the Smiths made since the end of WW2 have barrels that shoot .358 diameter bullets quite nicely. My 1956 Terrier dotes on the Magnus 158 grain SWC over 3.2 grains of Unique, for about 725 fps. Shoots a bit high to the sights, but quite accurate.

oh my ! that has always been on my 'get it if you can' list

by cable, Monday, May 26, 2014, 14:21 (3776 days ago) @ Hobie

:-D

I "always" wanted one, just 'cuz, but never had money

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, May 26, 2014, 18:33 (3776 days ago) @ cable

and an available gun at the same time. I got a sudden recurrent attack of Weblyitis, saw one at a local show asking $550 FIRM and told that they sold on GB for that "all day long". I knew that wasn't true and got this one for $200 less just as quick as you please. I've had it apart several times and fixed a couple of issues, major among them the lack of single-action capability. I am astonished at how well this rattle-trap (compared to a Colt) shoots. I busted parts of clay birds on the 50-yard berm with regularity.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

It would be fun to shoot a match with one & a set of Safaril

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, May 26, 2014, 19:40 (3776 days ago) @ Hobie

land speedloaders...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I bought 2 K-frames, one with odd proofs--history unknown.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 07:24 (3776 days ago) @ Otony

Both were "rechambered" to .38 Spl. Various parts kits were scrounged off the auctions and now one is a 'true' .38 Spl and the other is restored to .38 S&W. Got a bit of an education about swapping out S&W guts along the way. It is a fun cartridge in this platform. It's also cause for near-terminal giggles when loaded with BP and shot out of an old Owls' Head. I am still kicking myself for passing on a Terrier a few years back...

Either the K-frame or Colt D-frame loaders should

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 12:25 (3776 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

work. The HKS D-frame loaders do.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

If you MIGHT consider a K-Frame...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 13:41 (3775 days ago) @ Otony

Either the K-frame or Colt D-frame loaders should

by Catoosa, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 08:04 (3775 days ago) @ Hobie

If anyone has a double-action-only Enfield, a grip adaptor for a square butt K-frame will fit it nicely and make it much easier to shoot DA. Now, FINDING one of the blasted adaptors is another story.

by Charles, Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 15:07 (3774 days ago) @ Otony

[image]

There are fun, not to expensive, have some history and shoot very well.

RSS Feed of thread