Land lord asking about firearms

by Andy Shelton @, Pacific North Wet, Thursday, May 22, 2014, 18:16 (3780 days ago)

In the process of house hunting. Retired from the Navy at the end of July and got hired at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. We need to move back down here from Whidbey Island.

We searched and found a nice rental house(Not sure if we want to stay in WA..looking at Idaho but here is where work is for the time being), in our price range convenient to the base and the range.

Today the property manager tells me she needs the make model and SN of any firearms so they can add a rider to the lease exempting them from liability if I shoot someone or something on the property. Told her NO.

Waiting to find out if we still have the house and the status of our deposit.

Anyone ever experience this or even hear of it?

Andy

SubDoc

Sounds like typicle Seattle Neo Commie corruption.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, May 22, 2014, 18:21 (3780 days ago) @ Andy Shelton

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Sounds strange to me....

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, May 22, 2014, 18:48 (3780 days ago) @ Andy Shelton

Why would they need make, model and SN? All they need to do is add something to the lease saying that they are not responsible if you harm someone on the property. What you use to do the harm really shouldn't matter....

I'm like you and would have done just as you did and told them no....

Western Washington (where I also live...) is getting more and more politically correct and liberal every day. When I retire (another 8 years or so...) I'll probably move to either Idaho, or southeastern Washington..... It is getting where I can't stand the western side of this state....

Find another place.

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, May 22, 2014, 18:59 (3780 days ago) @ Andy Shelton

What Boge said.

by MR, Thursday, May 22, 2014, 19:05 (3780 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

by bob, Thursday, May 22, 2014, 19:52 (3780 days ago) @ Andy Shelton

BS! I have never ever heard of that and I returned to W:Wa. in 1985. None of the landlords business. Find a different house, or better yet, move to Eastern Washington.

by Andy Shelton @, Friday, May 23, 2014, 06:30 (3780 days ago) @ bob

I told them no. We will see what happens next. Hate to loose this house though.

Sounds to me that is her way of banning guns in her rentals

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 23, 2014, 09:14 (3780 days ago) @ Andy Shelton

Nm

Strange

by Charles, Friday, May 23, 2014, 11:49 (3780 days ago) @ Andy Shelton

A clause in the lease could be added very easy, to exempt the property owner from liability for any damage or injury resulting from the discharge accidental or intentional of a firearm by the lessee, his family or his guests.

I see no practical purpose to have the make and SN of the gun or guns.

Strange

by uncowboy, Friday, May 23, 2014, 17:40 (3779 days ago) @ Charles

Years ago when my company moved I was looking for a rental close by so I could take my time looking at the house market. I lost a place because I informed the land lord that I was a competive shooter and I would have guns on the property. I figured it would be better to volunteer the info rather than just move in and have him surprised. He was not anti gun to say but he didn't give me the rental because of it.
I always figured I was better off not having to deal with him. you might be better off in a different place. J.Michael

by jgt, Saturday, May 24, 2014, 06:19 (3779 days ago) @ Andy Shelton

Without exception, the people I've debated were afraid of what they would do, if they had a gun. They figured you would do likewise. When you scrape away the BS, they would use a gun on you, if they got mad enough. They believe you would too.

There is a book that has been around a long time

by stonewalrus, Saturday, May 24, 2014, 07:17 (3779 days ago) @ jgt

I'm Ok, You're Ok. The dangerous and criminals have the mentality of I'm not ok, you're not ok (I'm screwed up so you are too).

It seems to be a simple truth that people generally

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, May 24, 2014, 09:37 (3779 days ago) @ stonewalrus

accept that others do things the way they do be it cooking, sex, etc. and some of them are so unstable that they find it disturbing when others don't do as they do. A sad reality one with which one must work.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I work around somebody who is bipolar and barely this side

by stonewalrus, Saturday, May 24, 2014, 10:27 (3779 days ago) @ Hobie

Of insanity. We are always on the lookout for strange signs and posties in his cube. You would think he would look around and realize nobody else was doing it and what he was doing was abnormal. No way of course!

Neo Commies are unstable at the heart of it & Project their

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, May 24, 2014, 10:43 (3779 days ago) @ jgt

"values" & attitudes on everyone else...
Neo Commies+ Like to call themselves LIBERALS or Progressives...they are neither...
with rare exception the mass murders in the US are perpetrated by Neo- Communists

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread