Picked up a K22 today.......

by Otony, Monday, May 19, 2014, 21:45 (3783 days ago)

Very well worn, finish wise, but great bore and tight lockup. Came with a British Army style flap holster. Apparently it spent a great deal of time in the Amazon riding on the hip of a geologist, so almost Indiana Jones!

This is an early post-war Smith, serial number starts with a K and is followed by 64xxx. Seen the elephant, it has. If only it could talk, eh? One to treasure.

Oh, almost forgot. The family of the now deceased owner brought it in and, in their own words, just wanted to get rid of it. Didn't want it around, you see, damn the memories, Democrats don't have memories. Sigh......

Otony

We'll have to go up to the land....

by Glen, Monday, May 19, 2014, 23:17 (3783 days ago) @ Otony

...and spin the dinger a few times.

We'll have to go up to the land....

by Otony, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 09:49 (3783 days ago) @ Glen

Sounds like a plan. I have a friend here who wants to meet you. He would like to discuss cast bullets.

Otony

if I happen to be over thataway

by el Gordito, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 11:53 (3782 days ago) @ Otony

can I bring my Smiff 22 and join you?
bob

Let me know when you're coming over....

by Glen, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 14:09 (3782 days ago) @ el Gordito

....I have a couple of wines I want you to try.

how about some 18 year old Jamesons!?

by b, Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 00:29 (3782 days ago) @ Glen

all I have to do is recycle a buncha cans and I can buy some!

if I happen to be over thataway

by Otony, Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 08:06 (3782 days ago) @ el Gordito

Of course! I would be mighty thrilled to see you and Audrey.

Otony

Me?!?

by Glen, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 14:08 (3782 days ago) @ Otony

Talk about cast bullets? Why, I NEVER do that!;-)

Very cool!

by Brian A, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 11:05 (3782 days ago) @ Otony

I love the stories behind guns, where they have been, who carried them, and such. Would be great to find out more about the owner and what sort of work they were doing and for who. Were they looking for oil or gold, maybe doing research for a university? Hope you get to enjoy shooting it for many years, a K-22 is truly a Masterpiece.

I once bought a Ruger Old Model 357 Blackhawk....

by Boge Quinn, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 14:03 (3782 days ago) @ Otony

...for next to nothing, from a young lady who found Gunblast looking to get rid of it. The sixgun had belonged to her late father, but she had used it to fatally wound a would-be rapist who had kicked down the door of an apartment she shared with another young lady. Both were home in their beds, and she was cleared of any wrongdoing because the perp's intentions were clear. Still, she could not bear to hold on to the implement she had used to defend their bodies, and perhaps their very lives. Go figure.

Anyway, Jeff has that sixgun now.

They have been properly indocranated...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 16:35 (3782 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

:-(

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Perhaps she wanted a wider caliber?

by brionic @, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 17:34 (3782 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

:-|

I picked up a 2" S&W Model 10 one time...

by JD, Western Washington, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 14:37 (3782 days ago) @ Otony

My best friend owned a gunshop and pawn shop. A couple brought in this 2" S&W model 10 38 special that was in pretty decent shape. They said that they had had a fire in their house and the gun was "damaged" and they wanted it destroyed. Well, the gun showed no sign of exposure to heat, the grips still had the undamaged factory varnish on them, and the gun didn't even show any rust, just a slight bit of soot. Springs were fine, and overall the gun rated about a 95% condition showing only a slight bit of finish wear from being used. My friend explained to them that the gun was perfectly safe and was fine, but they refused to believe him and insisted that the gun was damaged and unsafe, so he took it and promised to have it destroyed...... I'm still working on "destroying" it one round at a time :-) :-D

Good of you to be so civic minded!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 19:07 (3782 days ago) @ JD

I hope I have the opportunity to someday live up to the same ideal.;-) :-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I see this happening with increasing regularity

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 18:46 (3782 days ago) @ Otony

around here. I live in an area with a very large elderly population, lots of WWII and Korea vets. As they die off or go to homes, the families find guns in the house and bring them to local shops for a quick sale. I've been rescuing all I can.

Picked up this S&W 28-2 for $409, and I am certain the shop was not into it for more than $200.

[image]

I see this happening with increasing regularity

by bpjon, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 19:06 (3782 days ago) @ Andrew

Dad is the past Commander of the local Legion Post. Widows and non-gun folks call him every few months about guns, and the deals are hard to turn down. Dad often counsels them to hang on until the next show at which we have a table in order to get the best money, but often they just, "Want it out of the house." Sad.

I have several on "permanent loan" from my SIL

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 19:59 (3782 days ago) @ bpjon

They were her father's guns and when he went to assisted living she said come get them. She would not have one in her house. Funny thing is he was like a grandpa to me and I knew what he had and where he kept them. She had no idea.

Sad for them - good for you

by Catoosa, Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 09:32 (3782 days ago) @ Otony

I rescued a well but honestly blueworn S&W Terrier from a hockshop several years ago with a similar story. Carried for many years by a man who used it to protect his business and his life. Kid sold it for next to nothing just to get rid of it. It has a secure and honored home now, until I pass it on.

I suspect the 1964 Colt Detective Special I picked up last month has a similar story, but I didn't get to hear it. It's sad that some people nowadays have no more regard for their parents values and life histories.

by Otony, Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 11:55 (3781 days ago) @ Catoosa

I don't know why, but a Terrier has always been high on my list of Smiffs to own. Should you ever decide it needs to move down the road, please keep me in mind.

Sadly, working in a pawn/gun shop, I see a LOT of guns come in that the kids don't want. Sometimes it is liberal fear, often it is ignorance or lack of respect for what those guns represent. Occasionally it is the stupid grandchild, looking for drug money or some such.

In this case, the lady told me the history, and yet it still wasn't enough to make a difference to her.

Otony

by Catoosa, Thursday, May 22, 2014, 09:40 (3781 days ago) @ Otony

I wish I knew more about the guy who owned this gun. It was much blueworn, but clean inside and out. There was an exquisitely made Mexican IWB holster with it that was almost worn through in places, obviously a rig that was carried daily for many years.

After carrying it myself, I can understand the appeal these little guns had back in the day. Loaded, it weighs almost the same as a loaded Airweight 442 even though the Terrier has a steel frame, and it is just enough smaller to fit perfectly in a pants pocket. A 155 grain SWC at 725 fps ain't no planet wrecker, but I sure wouldn't jump out in front of one. It has done nicely on a couple of critters that needed shooting.

I have my Dad's old single shot 22 H&R

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 14:16 (3781 days ago) @ Catoosa

I didn't arm wrestle my three brothers or their kids for it but nobody else wanted it. I will never sell it but wasn't going to argue over it - I have plenty of 22s. It is the gun I learned to shoot with and at one time it was my grandfather's.

RSS Feed of thread