Need AR scope mount recommendation...

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 16:41 (3786 days ago)

I'm gonna give up trying to use aperture sights on the AR and do what I do on all my other rifles (well, most of them anyhow) and scope it. I can use handgun sights and semi-buckhorn sights just fine but I'm convinced apertures are definitely NOT my forte! Anyhow, I am going to acquire another Leupold VX3 1.5-5 and I'd like to use a one piece QD mount with the bottom of the rings integral with the base. I don't want to spend a fortune on it either...$150 or less. Looking for some opinions as I only want to do this once. Thanks in advance.

Wilson Combat has something like I want but....

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 16:44 (3786 days ago) @ rob

There's has a big star wheel looking knob on the side that is both bulky and exceedingly ugly and looks like it could hang up on stuff when Murphy comes calling.

Take a look at this...my nephew in law is no slouch.....

by John Meeker @, United States, Friday, May 16, 2014, 16:53 (3786 days ago) @ rob

in his league .... we have hashed this subject over, and discussed article in which a cross hair scope was found to be the fastest of all 'pick-ups' for the average shooter, as against dots, peeps, and opens.

"""Finally got the Nikon Monarch 1-4x. It works great, at 1x its almost as fast as a red dot and the front sight is not in the way. At 4x the front sight disappears completely. Now its time to try it out at some matches."""

I am thinking along the same lines, having good fold down irons, but not happy with red-dots,not even the Vortex I had [very good scope, but 'too much informnation'.

G'luck

I completely agree...

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 17:31 (3786 days ago) @ John Meeker

Low power optics are faster for me. And without corrective lenses in place I only see one sharp crosshair rather than two red dots or two front sights:)

LaRue is the best

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, May 16, 2014, 17:41 (3786 days ago) @ rob

But too expensive for me! Ive got three scopes mounted in this mount and am very happy:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/117862/model-1-1-piece-scope-mount-with-integral-1-rin...

It's not exactly quick disconnect, but removes easily. I've got one AR that is set
Up well for three gun and coyote hunting so I have a 1.5-4.5x and a 4.5-14x scope I swap back and forth and it's always 'close enough' when I heck zero after swapping scopes out.

Take a look at this...my nephew in law is no slouch.....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, May 16, 2014, 17:46 (3786 days ago) @ John Meeker

I have two Brunton low bowers variables on AR's with Turkey reticles on them. At 1.5x I'm nearly as fast as with a red dot. I'm gettin my first AimPoint, a PRO tonight. Looking forward to putting it on my Troy carbine!

Leupold has a VX-1 with a turkey reticle that I'm seriously looking at for my 'combat rifles'.

The turkey reticle is basically a duplex crosshair with a circle around the thinner part of the crosshair. Gets you on target super fast up close and helps to zero in at range.

Need AR scope mount recommendation...

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, May 16, 2014, 18:57 (3786 days ago) @ rob

My former unit uses LaRue and Wilcox mounts.

http://www.laruetactical.com

http://www.wilcoxind.com

Leupold makes pretty good AR mounts too. Possibly closer to your price point.

http://www.leupold.com

LaRue.

by MR, Friday, May 16, 2014, 19:30 (3786 days ago) @ rob

I have them on a Nikon and an Aimpoint M2 on AR's.

I like that!

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 20:02 (3786 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I will look at the Larue and Leupold too before I pull the trigger but that looks like it will work well. I may look into the VX1 you mentioned but I sure love my VX3 1.5-5 that's on my Guide Gun. It should do quite well on an AR as well. That turkey reticle sounds great though...hmmm...

AR scope mount recommendation...

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 09:04 (3786 days ago) @ rob

La Rue is excellent but expensive.

I use Rock River Arms and get most stuff at discount from RB Precision. Very good design and quality at a mid range price.

--
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

I put a lighted reticle scope on my mini 14

by stonewalrus, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 09:08 (3786 days ago) @ rob

Sort of the best of both - cross between red dot and crosshairs scope. That way if the battery goes out on me the crosshairs are always there.

LaRue is simply the best ...

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 09:27 (3786 days ago) @ rob

Buy once, cry once. LaRue is expensive, but worth it. If you don't need the quick detach capability, you can save $50 by going with the VRZ type mount.

The LT104 mount will handle the needs of 99% of scope mounting on an AR-15.

That Rock River looks like it would work well...

by rob @, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 10:14 (3786 days ago) @ Jeff Taylor

I'd love to go with the LaRue but that's out of my comfort zone. If you have to have spend $250 to get a quality scope mount for an AR, I think I'd just revert back to the Mini-14.

Here you go...

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 11:31 (3786 days ago) @ rob

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-Scope-Mount-P58814.aspx

I have this mount, very nicely made, solid, works with either 1 inch or 30mm scopes and best of all only $60

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Here you go...

by rob @, Saturday, May 17, 2014, 12:10 (3786 days ago) @ Gunner

I like that! I guess now its time to choose. Need a bit more doe to buy scope so no real hurry.

I put the same scope (M-223 1-4X20) on mine...

by rob @, Wednesday, May 21, 2014, 11:23 (3782 days ago) @ John Meeker

Looks like a great system. The dot in the middle of the crosshairs sub tends 3" @ 100 yards. I think, with the right 55 grain load, sighted in @ 100 yards the dot is supposed to be a dead on hold to 300 yards. That's probably farther than I'll ever shoot this thing but who knows. I'm gonna play with it and see.

RSS Feed of thread