While I was sleeping in this morning....

by Byron, Friday, May 16, 2014, 11:05 (3786 days ago)

I don't work on Fridays and my wife volunteered to "help out" one of her friends who is working toward qualifying (again) for the 2015 Boston Marathon. This friend crossed the finish line in the 2013 event 90 seconds before the bombs went off. She completed this years race with a personal best. Both these 50 year old women run 6 or 7 marathons a year and look good doing it.

Here's a pic of my wife's watch with report of todays "training" run.

16.03 miles
2 hours and 37 minutes
9.48 pace for 16 miles
1818 calories burned

I must admit I'm proud of the old gal....and I must admit she looks great in tight jeans....
[image]

Byron

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Friday, May 16, 2014, 12:11 (3786 days ago) @ Byron

I'll bet she does...:-D

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Friday, May 16, 2014, 12:15 (3786 days ago) @ Byron

To me 50's is like being a teen ager, still look like kids, running certainly helps. I ran 5 miles per day, 7 days a week until my mid 60's. Never ran a marathon. !0 K's my limit then. Started training for a marathon once but, too much gun building got in the way, takes lots of concentration. Mental a big part of prep.

Eek! I'd rather die...

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 16:28 (3786 days ago) @ Byron

My idea of cardio is HIT body building Mike Mentzer style for a series of months and then alternating off of that back to some heavy power lifting. I HATE running! The endurance it takes to run a marathon is indeed impressive but overcoming the boredom of just running is what really impresses me.

BTW...

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 16:32 (3786 days ago) @ rob

I'm not knocking those who do...my daughter spent a few years in Track and, for some reason that is beyond me, finds running exhilarating. Just never could figure out why people want to run a marathon when the first dude to run one gave his life to be first;)

by bob, Friday, May 16, 2014, 20:24 (3786 days ago) @ Byron

the Amazing Missus and I are once again riding 'sweep' for the local marathon making sure no one is left on the rural, sometime near wilderness, course, nor that anyone with issues is abandoned. I carry basic first aid supplies including space blankets, extra water and energy bars and have done this enough times that I know I can reach the finish line with my ham radio (cell service is spotty at best). Marathoners are truly "unique", tho I am thinking another word!
bob

RSS Feed of thread