Ruger Scout .308

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 10:13 (3789 days ago)

Who's got one? What are opinions on them? What kind of cash price are they going for, used?

Ruger Scout .308

by Flatlander, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 11:05 (3789 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Had one, liked it OK once I got rid of the Ruger flash hider. Not a fan of scout scopes, so I put the XS rail on it, then wasn't a fan of that as it put the scope up so high. Tried then with regular Ruger rings on the receiver, but that kind of defeated the purpose of the rifle to me and didn't look real nice. I never did warm up to the magazines, but the rifle was accurate and reliable and in hindsight, I should have kept it with the XS rail and just got used to it.

However, after getting the Ruger SR762, I am more than satisfied and it fits that purpose far better for me.

Thanks!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 11:45 (3789 days ago) @ Flatlander

I'm honestly not sure what role it would play for me. We can't hunt with them (coyotes, are legal but no deer), so it'd be more of a fun/SHTF rifle. The fact it's threaded is a bonus for me. I've already got a very accurate 20" FN bolt gun and a 16" FAL with a 1-3x scope, so the scout probbly wouldn't do anything these two cant. I e always liked the scout rifle concept and this one seemed like a pretty good price. I may throw a spare AR up for sale and see if I can turn it into a Ruger Scout... At least then I would t be out any cash.

Ruger Scout .308

by Drago, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 15:00 (3788 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have one that I'm planning on selling with all the extras I accumulated for it.(Leupold Scout scope, Leupold quick detach rings, plastic and metal magazines,Ching sling,XS rib, Spech Tech trigger) Nothing wrong with the rifle, just financial reasons. I took the flash hider off and put on a thread protector.

[image]

Ruger Scout .308

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 16:08 (3788 days ago) @ Drago

Let me know if you come up with a price.

Ruger Scout .308

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 19:28 (3788 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Played with one briefly in '12. A friend had just received it and he let me run the first few rounds through it. We weren't doing anything serious with it, just busting clods type shooting. It handled well, went bang every time, only shot it with the factory sights. Reminds me somewhat of a certain '93 Mauser someone out in Indiana kitted out years ago...

OK

by Drago, Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 20:39 (3788 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I had one liked it, except for the AI magazines: expensive

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, May 15, 2014, 00:30 (3788 days ago) @ Slow Hand

and slow to reload. People that are in a position to know tell me, there might be an update soon. Same Mag pull mag as the SR762 would be nice... I like the Scout concept. I really like the ease with which I can make offhand shots with it. I sold mine to a friend that really wanted one when they were hard to find...I will probably get another. I have a little light Rem 660 that is still my favorite Scout gun.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Scott Tschirhart has one...

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 21:25 (3786 days ago) @ Slow Hand

He thinks very highly of it. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you about it. I wish I had one but I really need to complete several projects on the guns I have and quite buying new projects before the old ones are finished.

That's my biggest problem with it...

by rob @, Friday, May 16, 2014, 21:32 (3786 days ago) @ Flatlander

Not a fan of Scout scopes either. Or aperture sights for the most part. I do like the short barrel, magazine fed 7.62 aspect of it though. I really think I'd prefer something like a Remington 700 or a traditional Ruger 77 MK II but with an 18" barrel, traditional iron sights and a 2-7X scope on a QR type mount.

I keep telling myself I want one...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, May 19, 2014, 06:32 (3784 days ago) @ Slow Hand

but, so far, haven't actually made the move.

RSS Feed of thread