Fire Pit Ideas.

by bigbore442001 @, So. Worcester Co. Massachusetts, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 13:12 (3792 days ago)

Hello All:

It has been a long time since I replied on this old familiar forum. Many life changes which could fill a short novel but for good news. My wife and I have a nice place in a country setting and we're planning to put in a fire pit of sorts in the back yard area.

What kind do you have, if any, in your back yard? I am trying to glean ideas. Thanks

Fire Pit Ideas.

by ERSisk, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 13:39 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

How big ? Fancy? Plain? Don't know how country your new digs are but a discarded steel tractor rim makes a decent fire ring.

I am thinking a few feet in diameter

by bigbore442001 @, So. Worcester Co. Massachusetts, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 14:12 (3791 days ago) @ ERSisk

and somewhat plain but I like to glean ideas.

Fire Pit Ideas.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 14:14 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

I built a new deck a few years back. In the far corner from the house, I cut in a 6' diameter fire pit. Basically the center of the pit is where the corner of the deck should be. I used semi circular landscaping blocks from Menards. I built it three courses high and used landscaping block adhesive from a caulk gun to glue them together. Basically I put a stake in the middle with a three foot string on it and used that to lay out my circle. Put down the first course on a bed of play sand and ran a thick bead of the caulk on top of that. Laid down the second course and repeated. Once it set up, it's super strong. I made it oversized so the bricks wouldn't get too hot. Ive had some decent sized cired and some offer bricks are reddish on the inside, but I haven't had any break due to heat.

Up in FBX, chunks of 4' dia. oil pipe are popular. NM

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 14:36 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

How big......

by Byron, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 14:57 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

Truck, semi or tractor steel rim work great.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/topic/189415/gonew/1

Take $20 to the salvage yard and you are set. Grill can be added later if you want to cook off it.

FYI!!!!!!!!!! Never ever use a cadmium plated grill to cook off of. For the first few uses there will be enough cadmium passed onto the meat to poison your kidneys.

Byron

Stumbled on a old dumping ground in the woods once.

by John K., Sunday, May 11, 2014, 18:17 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

Found a lot of assorted junk, but only brought out one thing - an iron wagon wheel rim (tire?). It is about 4' in diameter, 4" wide and 1/2" thick. Kinda short, but I dig down in the ground another 10-12" and that's plenty. Used it for 20yrs or more.

Not something you can count on picking up just anywhere.

Check Home Depot

by JLF @, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 20:13 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

It's been a few years since I looked, but they used to carry several styles of haul-it-home-and-chunk-it-down firepits that were pretty slick. Prices were a little over a hundred bucks.

JLF

I think Cabela's sells the grill-box type like in parks.

by Caz, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 21:38 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

On the ground or on a pole mount.

yep, got one, with moose bears, etc cut outs done by a

by cable, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 23:26 (3791 days ago) @ Andrew

talented young man.

i also have a copper one on a stand to use on the deck at times or on a floating dock.

A couple that I have.

by Jared, Monday, May 12, 2014, 00:04 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

[image]
This one is down by the pond, it was made with some leftover stones from when my house was built. This isn't the greatest picture but it shows the general idea. I need to move a few of the stones around and build it back up in a couple of places.

[image]

I keep this one in the back yard, it can be moved where ever you want it and is quite handy.

Good to know you're still about Sir.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, May 12, 2014, 10:01 (3791 days ago) @ bigbore442001

We've had a couple over the years. One was made from limestone paving blocks...about 6"x6"x12" each. They didn't last---heat shattered them. The current one is a cheapie sheet steel ring. I don't like it much but it was free and has been in service for a couple years. Have one up at Bro Dan's cabin made from local granite stones. It's been abused for a couple of decades now.

Sounds like you are moving towards a good life. C'mon back when you can.

I've got the same thing Jared has...

by Bud, Monday, May 12, 2014, 16:23 (3790 days ago) @ Hoot

Large one out by the barn surrounded by various types of seating. Then on the patio have the movable one we use when the wind is up a bit. Have a screen cover for it to keep sparks from flying.

RSS Feed of thread