Sixshooter

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 16:47 (3795 days ago)

Good Guns and Good Coffee.

[image]

MK VI!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 17:41 (3795 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

MK VI!

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 18:22 (3795 days ago) @ Hobie

Yes

The daddy to your Webley 38 you have been tinkering with. I've been tinkering with this for a month. Fiocchi loads a 265 grainer that I have two 50 round boxes of that only do 550 fps or so. I loaded some 250 Remington lead over 4.3 grains of Unique and taper crimped over the ogive. These did 650 to 675 fps. Pretty accurate

Then I spent hours making brass from 45 Colt on a Unimat lathe. I set them to 45 ACP length and thinned the rims. Loaded the 250 grain Remigton with about 5.8 grains of Unique. Terrible accuracy and the boolits pulled there taper crimp. The last one pulled out completely and squibbed but exited the barrel. I shot six more checking each for boolits jumping the crimp. All pulled away somewhat and the velocity spread way out and was only in the 500fps range. The throats on these guns are really tight. I should break down and order the 265 grain RCBS hollow base mold for this revolver.

I am using a 45 Colt sizing die and 45 ACP expanding, seating and crimping. I need to roll crimp over the ogive with the Remington bullet. Does the 45 ACP RCBS carbide seating die roll crimp? I've always used a separate taper crimp die.

Bob

MK VI!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 20:14 (3795 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I love 'em.

I got a roll-crimp die for my .45 Auto-rim loads because my RCBS .45 ACP die set was a taper crimp which works for the .45 ACP but I didn't trust for the .45 AR.

Now that Unimat lathe, there's a whole other topic! I always wanted one, or something similar once I had actually seen one. It is fun to make chips and thread things.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Unimat

by Bob Hatfield @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 21:24 (3794 days ago) @ Hobie

Borrowed it off of a friend. It worked excellent. I was able to put a dowel in the chuck and support the 45 colt case. Then I put a small bit in the stationary chuck that fit into the primer pocket. The cutting bit I could use would cut the case off to close to 45ACP length. I then could chuck the case in the lathe the same way and use a hacksaw blade and thin the rim from the inside while it was spinning. A trip through a trim die and voila! A long Mk1 case. It took 4 or 5 hours to make a hundred. Wont be doing that much again that's for sure.

Bob

On my older RCBS crimp die it will roll crimp, if tightened

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 10:36 (3795 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield
edited by Rob Leahy, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 11:09

down enough.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

On my older RCBS crimp die it will roll crimp, if tightened

by Bob Hatfield @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 21:26 (3794 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My 45 ACP dies were made in 1990 so I guess it is a taper crimp? I bought a separate taper crimp to quit having to mess with my seating stem.

Bob

RSS Feed of thread