OK Gunner, don't laugh, here it is....

by pokynojoe, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 14:48 (3798 days ago)

I had to change to plan B. I just couldn't deal with those two screw things. So...my neighbor wandered over the other day and he's a machinist so he took the knife and drilled two small holes in the tang, then he gave me some brass pins he made out of some rod he had laying around. I didn't like the way it looked, so I mixed a bunch of the black dust from all the sanding and filing, with some glue and filled in the little holes, you can't hardly tell if there's any pins in or not!

Anyways, I think I'm gonna be able to hold onto this a lot better now, and that was the "plan".

Here's the before:

[image]

And (promise not to laugh now) here's the after:

[image]

By the way, amazingly, after dropping them umpteen times, I still have those two screw things, so if you want them, I'd be happy to mail them to you, just email me your address. I'm pretty sure, I'm not ever going to do something like this again.

Now all I need is a good bird knife, something like this would be good only much smaller with a thinner blade.

Thanks for all your help!

Joe

PS: I only sliced myself once.

Good looking, useful blade.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 15:39 (3798 days ago) @ pokynojoe

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

laughing....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 15:46 (3798 days ago) @ pokynojoe

No I am not laughing, you did really good, you should be proud, turned out better than I have seen from some so called bladesmiths. After a few days or weeks when you want to try another blade let me know and I'll point you toward some resources to look at blade blanks and different handle materials. Hardest part is over, your first, now things will be easier.

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Thanks Gunner, you're too kind...

by pokynojoe, Monday, May 05, 2014, 11:08 (3798 days ago) @ Gunner

If it turned out at all, it was because of your very good instructions. I doubt we will ever meet, but if we do, dinner's on me.

Thanks again, for all the help.

Joe

Looks very nice...

by Brian A, Monday, May 05, 2014, 13:55 (3797 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Maybe a new hobby has been started? :)

Nope...

by pokynojoe, Monday, May 05, 2014, 20:11 (3797 days ago) @ Brian A

I got enough to do.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask, if you ever got on with the DNR? I remember when you were down here you said you had an interview scheduled with them. Also, say hello to your Mom and Pop for me, I enjoyed their company at dinner.

Maybe next time when your down this way bring some "irons" and I'll take you to my club for a little shoot'in if you'd like. At any rate, let me know when you're headed down this way next time.

Joe

I like it Joe.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 07:33 (3797 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I am interested in hearing a feild report. I expect your work will make all the difference.

RSS Feed of thread