Gun show find in 8.15X46R (I think)....questions

by cubrock, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 10:30 (3804 days ago)

Was at a little local show this weekend and made a find that reminds you that shows are sometimes worth attending. I had a huge pile of gun parts of all flavors that I had bought from a gunsmith's estate 7 years ago. I had raided them many times for projects, and sold enough of them that I had nothing in them. I needed the space in my work room that they were taking, so I dragged them to the show. Hadn't even gotten them off my cart when one of the vendors asked about them. Long story short, I gave him the parts and $450 and got this German stalking rifle. I need to do a chamber cast, but I am 95% sure it is in 8.15X46R. The bore isn't perfect, but is plenty shootable. I am also pretty sure this originally had a Mannlicher-style forestock that has been cut back, but it is pretty handsome the way it is. Almost all the finish has been worn off, but some original blue and color case is hiding in protected areas. The trigger pull, once set, is measured in ounces. A bonus is it retains its original target sights, which are usually missing from these. Based on the proofing house marks, it is definitely pre-WWII and probably from the 1911-1919 era.

For a guy who loves Ruger No. 1s, it is neat to have a gun like this. The lines are very similar. Finding 8.15X46R components is not nearly as easy as even just a few years ago, but I think it is worth a shot.

So, do any of you shoot 8.15X46R? Any hints or pointers? Tips on where to find components and dies? Would love to find a bullet mold that would work, too. This one seems ideal for cast bullets.

I know the 8.15X46R is marginal for deer-sized game, but this action will allow me to wring everything out of it that is possible and I think a small NC deer wouldn't be unsporting with this combination. I love hunting with classic old guns like this.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

by uncowboy, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 10:45 (3804 days ago) @ cubrock

That is just too cool! Good luck finding brass and bullets and dies. J.Michael

That is a good looking rifle!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 11:50 (3804 days ago) @ cubrock

It looks like brass can be made from .30-30 brass pretty easily.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=17422

I have some stuff.... I think.

by John K., Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 12:04 (3804 days ago) @ cubrock

A small handful of brass, lead bullets, and dies. Never came across a rifle to fit. LOL

Yours if you want 'em.

Thank you! That would be great!

by cubrock, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 13:01 (3804 days ago) @ John K.

How may I contact you?

Leaving tomorrow

by John K., Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 18:50 (3802 days ago) @ cubrock

Thank you! That would be great!

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, May 12, 2014, 16:08 (3790 days ago) @ cubrock

If I recall correctly (not always the case, I hasten to add), 8.15x46R brass can be made from .30-30 brass. I don't remember the particulars anymore, but I don't think it requires major surgery. There's a good chance that a cast bullet for a .32 Winchester or .32 Remington will work, too.

Thanks!

by cubrock, Monday, May 12, 2014, 19:06 (3790 days ago) @ Remington40x

Yes, based on what I have read, it is relatively simple to make cases from .30-30 brass. Just takes some trimming, sizing, and fireforming. It appears that the gun will take the slightly larger .30-30 rim with no turning down required, which saves some work. I am looking at various molds and have read that certain .32-40 and/or .32 Winchester Special molds will work. Ideally, I'd love to get a mold I could hollowpoint to use for hunting, but we'll take it one step at a time.

This has the makings of the best gun project I've done in a very long time.

VERY cool.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 12:46 (3804 days ago) @ cubrock

Buffalo Arms lists components and dies but are generally out of stock.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Search.aspx?TERM=8.15

Hope to hear about you getting this up and shooting. Very neat rifle.

Oh my!!

by mcassill, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 14:25 (3803 days ago) @ cubrock

You might try contacting....

by Glen, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 15:34 (3803 days ago) @ cubrock

....JD jones at SSK Industries and asking about 8.15x46R brass. That is the case that he used to make his .338 Woodswalker wildcat a number of years ago, and I know that at one time he had laid in a significant inventory of cases to supply to customers. He may still have some of that sitting around.

The RCBS 32-170-FN mould should work for that cartridge.

I just love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 16:27 (3803 days ago) @ cubrock

Sorry, but I have no experience with or leads on any components other than those suggestions already made by others.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 18:31 (3803 days ago) @ cubrock

Great fine, love those old guns. Let us know how it works out.

Dies.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 21:30 (3803 days ago) @ cubrock

https://www.hornady.com/store/8.15X46R-c-942/

Beyond that, I have nothing more to offer other than serious envy. Single shots are good, single shots with dual set-triggers are lusted after.

Cannot offer much help...

by Brian A, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 07:29 (3803 days ago) @ cubrock

But would recommend slugging the bore as well as making a chamber cast to be sure of what will be needed to make the best loads for that rifle. It is not unusual for bore sizes to vary widely in some of those old stalking guns. Definitely looks like a seriously cool toy to play with, please share your adventures with it.

Good advice. I do plan on slugging the bore.

by cubrock, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 07:37 (3803 days ago) @ Brian A

Will keep everyone posted on the journey.

RSS Feed of thread