Name that gun.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 19:12 (3809 days ago)

I got some pics of the rifle in Bedknobs and Broomsticks tonight. Not sure what it is. Looks similar to a '98 Mauser, but I'm not sure. It looks to have scope bases built into it. Anyways, on to a few pics...

[image]

[image]

[image]

And another one of why looks like a small framed Rolling block and a single shot shotgun

[image]

Anyone have any guesses?

Looks like a custom commercial 98 Mauser to me - nm

by cubrock, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 20:26 (3808 days ago) @ Slow Hand

nm

I would bet pretty seriously on '98 Mauser.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 22:30 (3808 days ago) @ Slow Hand

The bolt shroud looks like it for sure. "Germanic" stock inasmuch as the side panels but the pistol grip looks too "square"...not out of the question but, to me, atypical. The spoon bolt handle definitely is in place. There are scope mounts, not necessarily incorrect, but they look real square and kinda "Weaver-ish" to me. On a rifle of the imagined sort, I would expect more of a low profile claw mount arrangement.

You saw my 8mm "Americanized Sporter" with most of the above coupled to an American stock. It looks to me like kin.

Now I gotta go watch that movie again..

I agree with...

by Brian A, Friday, April 25, 2014, 09:09 (3808 days ago) @ Slow Hand

The Mauser 98 thought. It could've been a converted military or a commercial model. Definitely has a Germanic look with the side panels on the stock, flat bolt handle and double triggers, though the scope bases do not look like the traditional claw mount. The British gun houses did produce a pretty fair number of rifles built on 98 actions themselves though, mostly for well-heeled Brits bound for African safaris or for export around the world.

Orbendorf Mauser Sporter

by Charles, Friday, April 25, 2014, 10:22 (3808 days ago) @ Slow Hand

complete with scope mounts, butter knife bolt handle and side panels. 1930s vintage

Orbendorf Mauser Sporter, I'd agree

by Todd C, Saturday, April 26, 2014, 09:22 (3807 days ago) @ Charles

;-)

RSS Feed of thread