Any readers of C.J. Box

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 16:08 (3810 days ago)

He writes a series of novels about a Wyoming game warden. I like his stories but maybe its because of my affinity towards Wyoming. Have lived there while in the Air Force and I married one of their gals.

Art

Good writer, increasingly recognized the literary sorts...

by John Meeker @, United States, Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 18:57 (3810 days ago) @ Art

Real affinity with, and understanding of, that section of the country, it's people, politics, and issues. Interesting detective stories, as well.

Read just about everything he's written

by Scribe, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 07:32 (3809 days ago) @ John Meeker

I prefer the game warden novels -- the Last Honest Man -- the best. His other stand-alones have been of lesser quality.

Scribe

Agree..Joe Pickett's are his best...

by John Meeker, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 10:27 (3809 days ago) @ Scribe

The last one he did about the serial killer truck driver and the two runaway girls did not engage me. I am gtowingh weary of Hannibal Lector -type gruesome stuff -- in book or one screen. There is enough bloody cruelty in the real world, already. It's not entertainment: it;s gratification of sado instincts. Example: Quentin Tarintino -- masterful blood shedding, but just for the thrills to the audience. "Oh say, Roman Senator Tarintino -- that last coliseum show was masterful -- such oceans of blood and the screams were delightful!"

That one was a waste of time/nm

by Scribe, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 13:09 (3809 days ago) @ John Meeker

nm

Have read all of the Joe Pickett's ...

by Flatlander, Thursday, April 24, 2014, 13:24 (3809 days ago) @ Art

and a couple more (Blue Heaven, I think) ... I mostly read via audiobooks, and the narrator is good. The books aren't perfect, but by and large are plotted well, written well, the characters are fleshed out well.

Of the series I read (Laurie R. King's Sherlock Holmes stuff, Clive Cussler's Isaac Bell stuff, CJ Box's Joe Pickett, and Craig Johnson's Longmire series) ... well, ranking them is difficult, I just read them all. Longmire is generally my favorite, though.

RSS Feed of thread