Got rid of the AMD65.....

by Otony, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 19:25 (4467 days ago)

.....and picked up a Bulgarian SLR95 like I used to own back in 1996.

Night and day difference in the quality. Just need to do a parts compliance conversion so I can swap out the thumbhole buttstock for a conventional AK stock & grip. I have a US Palm grip here, and am calling Ironwood tomorrow for a buttstock.

Sometimes projects can really grab your brainpan......

Otony

Get a stamp "MADE IN USA"

by Miles, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 19:51 (4467 days ago) @ Otony

Stamp all available metal and wood parts.

AFAIK, no one has ever been prosecuted, much less arrested, for a violation of 922r.

Get a stamp "MADE IN USA"

by Otony, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 20:21 (4467 days ago) @ Miles

Shhh, you are giving away secrets.....

Bad ergonomics?

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 19:52 (4467 days ago) @ Otony

I have a problem cheeking down on a stamped AK stock to see the sights myself. My Bulgy 74 and its 5.45 cartrige batters my cheekbone bad when I fire it. OTOH my WASR UF with its slanted underfolder stock is actually comfortable to shoot.

Bob

Bad ergonomics?

by Otony, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 20:21 (4467 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Yes, the AMD was a struggle to use for me, and I didn't want to resort to the cheekpieces out there. It is neat as all get out, but you have to be able to use it in positions other than holding it over your head African rebel style!

Plus it has the dreaded "mag wobble" if I used it with steel magazines. No prob with synthetic mags, but part of the charm of running an AK is the availability of inexpensive magazines, unlike my M1A which oddly enough is still less expensive to get mags for then my Saiga .308, go figure!

RSS Feed of thread