Well, I've been suckered...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, April 17, 2014, 15:34 (3815 days ago)

...into shooting in our club's .22 LR benchrest matches. <sigh> Of course I don't (didn't) have a suitable rifle. Most shoot an Anschutz but a couple of fellows use BSA tilting blocks. I put it off but the combined pressure of the wife wanting me to make the club membership "worth the money" by shooting more and various and sundry urging me to shoot came to a head yesterday when I stopped by the shop to work out some scheduling details (which have yet to be worked out). The boss wasn't there but my co-worker and good friend Wayne pointed out that a Winchester 52C HB target had come in on consignment. I didn't think that I could afford to pay what it was worth but put some money down to make sure it didn't get out the door with somebody else.

Made in 1955, with globe and aperture sights as well as scope blocks it is set up as a small bore rifle. However, these have a big flat forearm which should work well on the rest. Then I got a little research done and was thinking I'd have to D&T for mounts suitable for a more modern scope and also discovered that it was more than I'd initially thought.

So, today, I went in to get my money and put it back on the market. The boss man was there and I fell over when he said he'd let me have it for what the consignor wanted, $825. Now I will have to find an adapter bracket for the Lyman/Unertl block(s) or a mount that uses the rear sight mounting holes. It does need some loving cleaning on the exterior. I will also have to find some better ammo.

If any of you can give me some help or leads on sources, I'd appreciate it.

Photos? The rifle is at the shop on the layaway shelf. I wanted to save some cash for the necessaries.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

wow that is a prize and classy piece !

by cable, Thursday, April 17, 2014, 15:59 (3815 days ago) @ Hobie

;-)

Why not run a Lyman or Fecker scope?

by John K., Thursday, April 17, 2014, 19:40 (3815 days ago) @ Hobie

Easier and better than D&T'ing if the gun is otherwise unmolested.

What irons come with the gun? Some of those are quite high dollar. That might go a long way towards a Lyman Targetspot.

All three of mine shoot the Wolf MT and Aguila Match Rifle pretty well.

My first thought. Haven't found one yet.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:39 (3815 days ago) @ John K.

I was looking for a 30X Super Targetspot. Leaning towards keeping the sights so that I can use the rifle to also shoot smallbore/position matches if such become available. That it is a classic was a BIG selling point to me. I am not a fan of "new" if you know what I mean. More fun to me for some reason.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I also enjoy the classic aspect of the gun. There is a book

by John K., Friday, April 18, 2014, 09:57 (3815 days ago) @ Hobie

called "The Winchester 52, Perfection in Design", by Houze. Highly recommended for the developmental history of the gun. Another good reference is Stroebel's "Old Gunsights" for all kinds of old sights and scopes.

Some of those old sights were quite intricate - the Vaver had 1/8" clicks and worked off a scroll principle.

There was a site with all kinds of old scopes for sale, but it is dead. Might be temporary, hopefully. http://www.alexweb.net/unertl/index.htm

Parsons might have some leads. http://www.parsonsscopeservice.com/home.html

Gary Fellers has old sight stuff: http://www.garyfellers.com/ Quite a phone experience. Haven't talked with him in years.

They shoot very consistently - as in, you don't need to worry about strange flyers or only counting three or four out of five for group. Never felt like I shot up to the rifles.

[image]

Just about any ammo would shoot five into a little less than 1/2". Wolf MT shot very well, but I always blamed myself for the flyer.

[image]

For a real test, shoot ten 5-shot groups and don't allow yourself to discount any shots. Take extra BP medicine ahead of time. :-D

Aha! The old scope guy changed the address of his website.

by John K., Friday, April 18, 2014, 10:01 (3815 days ago) @ John K.

Lyman target scopes

by Charles, Friday, April 18, 2014, 09:57 (3815 days ago) @ Hobie
edited by Charles, Friday, April 18, 2014, 10:09

Back in my small bore competition days, I used both the Lyman Jr. Targetspot (10X) and a Super Targetspot (20X). I liked the Jr. better as there was less jiggle and mirage (outdoors). I could shoot better scores with the 10X than I could with the 20X. Both have very clear optics and excellent 1/4 minute repeatable adjustments in the mounts.

I am a sucker for 52s...

by Brian A, Friday, April 18, 2014, 07:32 (3815 days ago) @ Hobie

If you can find a scope to fit the existing blocks that would be great, but 52s have a large flat area on the rear of the receiver for mounting various aperture sights. It might be worthwhile to look into having a scope mounting block machined to utilize that part of the action without requiring any drilling or tapping. I have seen commercial bases made to fit the 52s without drilling any additional holes, but don't remember offhand who made them, and don't know if they are still on the market. Best of luck with the matches, if that rifle still has decent rifling, with ammo it likes, it should be very competitive with anything anyone might show up with. My 52C HB will put PMC standard velocity match into one hole only slightly larger than the first shot at 25 yards. Have not put it on paper at longer ranges, but it is great fun to shoot squirrels with, none ever get away if they provide a target. Lots of fun to plink at shotgun shells out to 150-200 yards.

EGW and Vianni made no-drill mounts once upon a time.

by John K., Friday, April 18, 2014, 09:10 (3815 days ago) @ Brian A

Not sure what is available today. They are great rifles!

EGW still does, but Ken Viani is apparently no

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, April 18, 2014, 14:25 (3815 days ago) @ John K.

longer making them.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread