Canoe carry

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 13:47 (3817 days ago)

Looks like the Munchkin and I will be going on a canoe trip with the Tiger Scouts. Officially no firearms allowed but I don't like being naked. I'm thinking Airweight Smith. Any suggestions on holster carry so I don't lose it?

Pocket carry is what I did for Scout trips ...or

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 13:54 (3817 days ago) @ stonewalrus

just open carried my MG when we were in the Bush...Bill Hoyt another Scouter, used his 2" J 357 to drop a black bear that was standing on one of the scout tents...;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Pocket carry is typically the way I pack it

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 14:00 (3817 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Makes sense - and no one the wiser...
Our leader would have no qualms about me carrying (probably expects it) but not sure of the rest.

What they dont know might save them...

by FOWLER, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 14:59 (3817 days ago) @ stonewalrus

nm

The challenge with canoeing is the standing, sitting, kneel

by brionic @, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 16:36 (3817 days ago) @ stonewalrus

kneeling, portaging, and putting in and out. Hard to keep a belt holster 100% concealed under all those circumstances.

What I've done is carried a lightweight holster - a kitchen-table or in my case, rest-stop Silver Dollar holster is perfect... nylon or polyester lightweight belt, and insertyourgunhere. Then, it's all carried, as needed, inside my canoe bag, on the outside pocket of a day bag, all easily accessible. This assumes I'm in a lightly or non-poulated area.

Otherwise, look to a fanny pack or carrying bag by The Wilderness.

Enjoy!

Canoe carry

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 20:05 (3816 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Fanny pack.

Freezer zip lock bag.

Going on the Buffalo or Harpeth

Harpeth - Foggy Bottom Canoe. Place has campsites too.

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 20:08 (3816 days ago) @ RidinLou
edited by stonewalrus, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 21:43

Nm

Canoe carry...I try to use the portage yokes.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 17, 2014, 08:35 (3816 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I would think carrying a canoe inside the waistband or in one's pocket would be uncomfortable for any period of time. You see, there's those pointy bits and...what? Ohhh.....ummm, never mind. :-D

I tried a Thunderwear holster for a while

by stonewalrus, Thursday, April 17, 2014, 10:08 (3816 days ago) @ Hoot

Didn't like where the gun was sitting...

I know one guy that used thunderware, he off set the holster

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 17, 2014, 14:26 (3816 days ago) @ stonewalrus

it's too slow and just lame for a primary gun...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

It is also sitting on your bladder -not good for long trips!

by stonewalrus, Thursday, April 17, 2014, 14:49 (3816 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

It is deep cover for sure but a pain whenever you have to go to a public restroom too.

Rob, I heard of an Orthodox Jew in Israel who

by stonewalrus, Thursday, April 17, 2014, 15:22 (3816 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Carried a pistol under his beard...

Heard of an Orthodox Jew in Israel who

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Friday, April 18, 2014, 08:14 (3815 days ago) @ stonewalrus

SW
Don't think you have time to grow that much of a beard.

Not likely needed in that area, but a fanny pack would be my suggestion, because one never knows what will happen coming and going and I would not leave anything in my car anywhere.

Found some decent 380 at Midsouth and I am going to order from them anyway so it works.

Let me know if you need something from them.

Canoe carry

by Catoosa, Friday, April 18, 2014, 22:52 (3814 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Tom, remember the M-14 ammo pouch I used to carry on a GI pistol belt when we were working in the field? I still have it. A 442 would likely fit right well in it, plastic baggie and all.

I don't believe anyone but you ever knew what was in that pouch. Scharber rode up in the elevator with me once upon a time when I was wearing it.

Canoe carry

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 19, 2014, 11:25 (3814 days ago) @ Catoosa

I have a couple of similar pouches that might work. I'll check.

Canoe carry

by ~JM~, Sunday, April 20, 2014, 10:15 (3813 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Been on many a canoe & kayak trip. A few hundred water miles worth.

I think that front pocket carry is going to be the best bet under your circumstances. Rear pocket carry would be next best. Most comfortable would be an across the chest carry under your PFD, but concealability throughout the trip would be hard to maintain. Small of the back carry would also be good, but again... You would be exposed at times.

The problem with front pocket carry would be drawing the handgun while seated in the canoe & it may get wet when you are launching the boat, or in a swimming incident. Rear pocket carry will be easier to draw from while seated, but will most likely be a very uncomfortable lump to sit on all day, plus the handgun may still get wet.

An auto-loader may be a better choice due to its flat profile.

Good luck & enjoy your canoe trip.
~JM~

Canoe carry

by ~JM~, Sunday, April 20, 2014, 10:25 (3813 days ago) @ ~JM~

Forgot to mention the good old "Fanny Pack".

I often used one of those for my wallet, car keys, knife, etc. You can rotate it so it rides behind you while you are seated & paddling, then rotate it in front of you for standing & walking, etc. I don't recommend it, but you can also choose to fasten the belt around the thwart that is in front of you. Personally, I would prefer to have it fastened to my body at all times, just in case you are seperated from your canoe.

~JM~

PS. If you happen to hear any banjo music... Stay in the canoe!

Thanks - hadn't thought about all the other stuff I didn't

by stonewalrus, Sunday, April 20, 2014, 21:31 (3812 days ago) @ ~JM~

Want to get wet either - I just ordered an Uncle Mike's Gunrunner fanny pack.

RSS Feed of thread