Heads up - OM Colt Dick Special

by Catoosa, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 22:45 (3820 days ago)

LGS has an Old Model (skinny barrel without the ejector rod shroud) Detective Special, in pretty nice shape, tagged $551.00. Factory checkered walnut grips with a Tyler polished adaptor. A little blue wear on the edges but not bad at all for it's age.

If anyone is interested, give a shout and I'll give you contact info for the shop. I'd jump on it myself, but I already have a pretty nice DS. If this wuz a Cobra it would already be mine.

Neat piece!

by Kentucky, Sunday, April 13, 2014, 08:11 (3820 days ago) @ Catoosa

Isn't that the gun Dick Tracy originally carried? I seem to recall that from the funny papers as a kid.

:-D

Dunno...

by Catoosa, Sunday, April 13, 2014, 20:35 (3819 days ago) @ Kentucky

I do remember when ol' Dick first got a .357 Magnum. Right away, he leaned out of a police helicopter and drilled a round through the hood of a crook's getaway car, busting the engine block in a spectacular one-shot stop.

His snappy fedora didn't even blow off in the rotor wash, either. :-D

by Catoosa, Monday, April 14, 2014, 19:35 (3818 days ago) @ Catoosa

You guys are just NO help at all. I went back and looked at that DS again this afternoon. I was wrong - there is virtually no wear on it at all. Must surely have been a sock-drawer gun. I have not seen an old-model DS in that nice condition in many years.

I'm telling y'all this because you are like the Alabama country boy at the bus station - you done messed around wif dat indian and missed yo' bus. It's sold.

by Drago, Monday, April 14, 2014, 23:39 (3818 days ago) @ Catoosa

Does it have the long or short grip frame? The grip frames changed in the mid 1960's and the barrels around 1973 IIRC.

OM Colt Dick Special - SCORE

by Catoosa, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 22:09 (3817 days ago) @ Drago

Long frame. According to what I've read they shortened the grip frame in 1966. This one was made in late 1964, according to Proofhouse.

I wasn't looking for one because I really never thought I'd find one I could afford. Abolutely amazing condition, complete with original numbered grips and a Tyler adaptor. The trigger is awesome, and I can't tell that it has been fired since it left the factory. Must surely have been a sock drawer gun.

I probably shouldn'ta done it, but I just couldn't pass it up. It's one of those guns I've wanted ever since I was a kid.

Hooyahhh!

The Colts are wonderful... Now you need a Cobra!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 08:41 (3817 days ago) @ Catoosa

top to bottom, Cobra #1, Cobra #2, Detective Special. I got the DS first and then I couldn't stop...

[image]

[image]

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The Colts are wonderful... Now you need a Cobra!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 21:10 (3816 days ago) @ Hobie

Whats the barrel length on that bottom DS? 3"? That looks like a great packing gun!

RSS Feed of thread