What do you all do?

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, April 11, 2014, 16:33 (3822 days ago)

For home defense I have a 226 Sig with a 15 round mag with one in the chamber in the draw of my night stand along with a extra mag and a 650 Lumen flash light (not attached). I have family members with fire arms that do not have them loaded (no children in the home) and they wonder how fast they could respond to a threat. When little ones visit my home the Sig goes in the safe. I believe I am correct in what I do. What do you all think?

I have a young one around

by stonewalrus, Friday, April 11, 2014, 17:24 (3822 days ago) @ Art

I have a pistol safe under my bed (locked down) with a loaded 40 Witness and a spare magazine. I recently mounted a light on it. I also have a Cold Steel Kukri machete hanging off the back side of the bed. A Rossi 357 is stashed elsewhere in the house in another pistol safe.

I have a young one around

by uncowboy, Friday, April 11, 2014, 18:00 (3822 days ago) @ stonewalrus

shotgun on every level of house with a G20 in nightstand colt gov downstairs and a g27 where I watch tv

What do you all do?

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, April 11, 2014, 19:21 (3822 days ago) @ Art

I have several handguns scattered around the house on all levels. No children here or visiting. All guns are loaded, just pull the trigger, spare ammo handy. Also have 300L to 600L lights, one mounted on BR gun.

Glock 21 in the headboard. NM

by TomC, High Ridge Missouri, Friday, April 11, 2014, 22:18 (3821 days ago) @ Art

What do you all do?

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 06:01 (3821 days ago) @ Art

Makarov hidden where only I know. Unloaded as I am deathly afraid one of the wife's grandbabies will find it. I will have to insert the mag and rack the slide in need.

I have a SW 40 Sigma downstairs with the mag laying beside it. Of course there is also a hidden AR and AK with Mags upstairs also well hidden. If the bad guys give me time they are screwed. With little kids around occasionally it is my best compromise with me and myself and my wife.

Bob

What do you all do?

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 07:24 (3821 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Thats my question. If it was not for the little ones would you be the so called locked and loaded?

Thanks
Art

Haven't seen the need here but if I do

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 08:32 (3821 days ago) @ Art

There is a push button pump shotgun lock that can be screwed to the wall (shot lock I think). Thinking of picking up a youth model 870 in 20 gauge - it would work for my young son and a house gun too.

Carry your self defence gun on you. You will be fortunate if

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 13:06 (3821 days ago) @ Art

you can reach the special hiding place, open the lock etc...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

yep; i do always. and there is plenty of other stuff

by cable, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 14:50 (3821 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

in reach when needed. :-P

That is what I try to do - safest place is on YOU

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 20:09 (3821 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

What do you all do?

by Murphy @, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 10:33 (3821 days ago) @ Art

I never fathered any children (by choice) and my 1st wife had 2 teenage sons when we married. I live in a small, rural town where pretty much every young man learns about guns. My 2nd wife had 2 adult children when we married. So for all intent and purpose I've lived a 'child free' life.

However, there were friends and family with small ones who would come to visit. It may be a short 1 hour visit, or it could be for a day or two. I didn't feel comfortable not having a loaded firearm I could take up in a hurry if the need arose. My solution was pretty simple. A small sliding latch/lock was placed as high as I could easily (and quickly) reach at the top of the door/closet where I would have a firearm spirted away.

I have to laugh as I just remembered my current wife had an aunt who hated firearms, all of them. She stated she simply refused to spend the night in a house where there was a firearm. She lived out of state and was coming for a 5 day stay with us. When my wife told me about the firearm issue, my reply was simple. "We don't have to tell her about them, or you can tell her about them. But who's gonna foot the motel bill for her?". She never knew a thing.... :-)

Murphy

I keep to toggles on safe and only blow the claymores AFTER

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 11:45 (3821 days ago) @ Art

everyone and the dogs are accounted for...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Back as Mine, Front toward Enemy ntxt

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 18:28 (3821 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

ntxt

What do you all do?

by Catoosa, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 23:17 (3820 days ago) @ Art

Several pump shotguns stashed at various handy places, and my EDC (usually a Browning HP or a .45 Commander) on me or on the dresser if I'm in bed.

Kids are not an issue at our house, except for occasional visiting friends/relatives.
On those occasions everything goes in the safe except for my EDC, which is on me as usual.

What do you all do?

by sjcollins ⌂ @, SW Missouri, Saturday, April 12, 2014, 23:36 (3820 days ago) @ Art

My kids are older (12, 14 and 22yrs,) but my twin granddaughters will be walking very soon, so I'll break out our small gun safe, and I'll keep my Glock 17 w/ Surefire WML attached to it in there, along with my wifes S&W 2" Model 12 .38 revolver. With our locks and dogs, we should have ample warning to get ready.

RSS Feed of thread