Forearm bedding

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 24, 2014, 10:28 (3840 days ago)

So, here's the scenario: I have a Martini Cadet and the forearm is held on by a simple cross pin and is quite loose. The hole in the stock for the pin is not reinforced in any way. I intend to remedy that but I think I need to bed the forearm first. I was thinking that I should bed the rear for maybe 1-2" of the forearm and then a small ridge at the forearm tip. Then, with the forearm stable, reinforce the cross pin. Once that has been done, I should have a relatively solid mount and then a fellow can play with where the rifle wants to be bedded, i.e., more or less pressure, etc.

Sound like a plan or am I complicating things (again)?

Thanks!

Forearm bedding

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Monday, March 24, 2014, 13:02 (3840 days ago) @ Hoot

Seems a reasonable approach if you plan on using the gun as is, If you plan to re-barrel, I'd build a new fore-end and hanger. Use steel bed material not6 glass bed.

Thank you Sir!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 24, 2014, 21:30 (3839 days ago) @ Lee J.

I figure I can go cheap on this at first and get an idea of how it wants to shoot. If it looks hopeless, then what you suggest is what I had in mind. A forearm screw and hanger gives a lot more positive hold. Of course, the possibilities of caliber options with a barrel change gets the head to spinning....

Anyway, I do appreciate it.

Forearm bedding

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 21:02 (3839 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot:

Most of my Cadets (and I own about a dozen, all custom except one still in the original .310 Cadet cartridge) attach the forend with a screw through the forend into the barrel or a stud on the barrel. Most of them shoot well, some shoot outstandingly well. You might consider drilling and tapping a small hole in the barrel and mounting the forend that way. The only reason not to do so is if you are trying to preserve the Cadet in original condition.

Rem

Thank you Sir.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 07:46 (3838 days ago) @ Remington40x

This Cadet is a pretty long way from the As Issued condition. It was rebarreled using what I think is a 2-groove Springfield barrel and rechambered to .32SWL. The gymnastics I describe above is just an attempt to shore it up to see if it will shoot. The wobbly forearm does nothing to improve any sagging skills I may have. If it shoots, a better hanger, along with better wood, will be added. If it doesn't shoot, it will be rebarreled and then a better hanger and wood will be added.

I sure wouldn't mind pawing through a pile of custom Martini's. Do you have any pictures you'd share?

Thanks again!

RSS Feed of thread