Remember the Auto Ordnance Thompson I got in a swap?

by Otony, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 15:53 (3844 days ago)

If not, I swapped a guy my Remington 700 .30-06 for his pretty much new Tommy Gun.....straight across! :eyepopping:

I had no interest in it, but the deal was too good to pass up. Been looking for another good swap since then. Also been looking for one of these foe awhile:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400770436

The above Luger is now in the permanent collection (laugh away, but this one stays),

Otony, who also picked up 500 pieces of new Swiss brass, and approximately 250+ mixed rounds of Western, Remington, Norma, and Fiocchi .30 Luger. I may never fire the thing, but I'm ready!

Otony

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 16:06 (3844 days ago) @ Otony

Very nice! Is some of that mixed ammo coming from Indy?

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 16:37 (3844 days ago) @ Otony

Very nice, I would be tempted to shoot it.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, March 20, 2014, 17:30 (3844 days ago) @ Otony

Very cool. I like it.:-D

I JUST saw one of those in 4" on my way home.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 17:48 (3844 days ago) @ Otony

Stopped at a shop down the road and it had appeared in the used case. They're asking $1400, sounds like you got a heckuva deal.

Oh yes.....

by Otony, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 20:05 (3844 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by Otony, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 21:26

That is the stuff you told me about.

The brass is Swiss government surplus stuff that I found on GB. I am guessing (?) it was given/sold to their militia or NRA equivalent. After all, they used the .30 Luger cartridge a lot longer than anyone else. Were not some of the Sig P210s made in .30 Luger for Swiss gummint use, along with the later 9emems?

Otony

by Otony, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 20:06 (3844 days ago) @ Cherokee

I am, I am!

Otony

I JUST saw one of those in 4" on my way home.

by Otony, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 20:12 (3844 days ago) @ Andrew

I gave them some money, but I am only in it about a grand, all up.

It would have been crazy expensive and unaffordable, but the 700 I swapped cost me around 350. They took the Thompson and gave me nearly a grand for it! So even though I kicked in over 600 bucks, my "real" total out of pocket added up to way, way less than their asking price.

I might have sold the Thompson for a grand, but I could never buy the Luger for that, so I am content to consider it a $350 Tommy Gun.

Otony

A buddy in Fairbanks has a Hi-Power in .30 Luger

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, March 20, 2014, 21:21 (3844 days ago) @ Otony

Very very cool gun. The slide is thinner than the 9mm version. The contours are the same, just less of it there.

I love it when things work out like that.

by Boge Quinn, Friday, March 21, 2014, 07:56 (3843 days ago) @ Otony

You done good.

Andrew, was that the one at Mid America Arms??

by TomC, High Ridge Missouri, Friday, March 21, 2014, 14:28 (3843 days ago) @ Andrew

If so, I saw the same one. Very tempted.

Yes indeedy.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Friday, March 21, 2014, 15:40 (3843 days ago) @ TomC

I stop in there about 2 times a week. A little over a year ago they had a flat top .357 for $369.00. Since I had just moved back here and didn't have a Missouri ID, they wouldn't even let me put it on lay-away. I've pulled some other great deals out off there though.

Lawdy! That's nice.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 09:59 (3841 days ago) @ Otony

I'd shoot it and never look back.

The Mauser Parabellums are great guns...

by JD, Western Washington, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 23:25 (3840 days ago) @ Otony
edited by JD, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 23:30

[image]The Mauser Parabellums are really outstanding pistols. I have two of the 06/73 (P08) variety like yours, but both of mine are in 9mm. One with a 6" barrel, and the other with a 4" barrel. They are extremely well made, and quite accurate, and great fun to shoot!!!! The 6" barrel pistol has an entirely different feel to it than the 4", and I like it the best for shooting.

The grips can feel a little blocky and not quite like a real luger, but if you go to the luger forum, there is a gentleman there named Hugh that does a great job of reshaping the grips to true luger shape and then re-checkering and refinishing them. He is a true craftsman, and I've had him do the grips on both of mine and it really improves the feel and handling. There is also a gentleman there (goes by his initials G.T.) who can replace the plastic magazine base with an aluminum base that looks like the german WWII mags and is more durable than the factory plastic magazine base. Anyway, the luger forum (http://www.lugerforum.com/) is a excellent source of information on all things luger.

I do hope you shoot your luger, they are very fun and amazingly accurate. :-) :-)

Wow! Thank you!

by Otony, Monday, March 24, 2014, 11:09 (3840 days ago) @ JD

A treasure trove of information there. Much appreciated!

Otony

Happy to help someone else feed their habit !!!

by JD, Western Washington, Monday, March 24, 2014, 15:18 (3840 days ago) @ Otony

:-)

RSS Feed of thread