Painting a plastic stock?

by brionic @, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 20:47 (3852 days ago)

My bemoaned/beloved Steyr SBS needs a facelift.

I have accepted that I'm not going to find one of the scarce standard-action walnut "Forester" stocks, and the McMillan A3 - the only aftermarket stock of which I'm aware - is a detour down the tactical aisle that I don't want to visit.

[image]
(Not mine - just a lifelike simulation)

As you see - the black plastic stock needs a paint job of some sort.

The M4 sites teem with nifty camo home Krylon jobs - Leaves? Yes. Netting? Yes. Dirt color? Of course. Scales of Asmodeus? Seriously? They have 'em all - but garish cool factor is not my priority. The magic invisible rifle being carried by a fat orange guy - me - seems funny.

While poring over the color photos of Col. Cooper's greenish scouts and Krag, I remind myself that his stocks weren't exactly spray painted by a piker, so there's that caveat.

Therefore - I solicit opinions as food for thought - how would YOU refinish a black plastic, non-svelte stock? Stainless action and barrel remain stainless, Leupold remains black, Latigo sling remains saddle tan - these are the only initial limits.

Fire away, if you wish.

by Otony, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 21:15 (3852 days ago) @ brionic

I've always been partial to the tan stocks with black webbing that Bell & Carlson churn out. Actually, webbing over most colors looks nice to me.

by uncowboy, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 22:03 (3851 days ago) @ Otony

I would buy a dip kit and make it what you want. You tube shows a lot of people dip coating stocks and everything else.

Thx. I knew nothing of this except for those 1970s

by brionic @, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 23:04 (3851 days ago) @ uncowboy
edited by brionic, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 02:23

TV ads for "magic water art". I guess the industry has matured, from hippies then to gun/truck kooks today!

Excellent. Thx.

Me too,

by Jared, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 10:08 (3851 days ago) @ Otony

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt242/AgCatJHS/Jared8pt.jpg
[image]

This is my M7 .308. For a synthetic stock it doesn't look half bad. It is probably my favorite bolt rifle.

Partial to green or tan in that order. Likely due to the

by John K., Thursday, March 13, 2014, 11:28 (3851 days ago) @ brionic

green SSG stocks being the first synthetics I experienced.

John Norell's air-dry Moly Resin is easy to apply and available in black, green, and tan. There's also an air-dry cerakote.

Things like Duracote and spray paint mostly just suck for durability.

Nice shooting!

by brionic @, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 13:38 (3851 days ago) @ Jared

Good looking buck and rifle.

I hadn't thought of -69 green. Good suggestion.

by brionic @, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 21:32 (3850 days ago) @ John K.

Beside looking good, it also rings true to the distant heritage.

Thx, John.

RSS Feed of thread