Painting a plastic stock?

by brionic @, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 20:47 (3851 days ago)

My bemoaned/beloved Steyr SBS needs a facelift.

I have accepted that I'm not going to find one of the scarce standard-action walnut "Forester" stocks, and the McMillan A3 - the only aftermarket stock of which I'm aware - is a detour down the tactical aisle that I don't want to visit.

[image]
(Not mine - just a lifelike simulation)

As you see - the black plastic stock needs a paint job of some sort.

The M4 sites teem with nifty camo home Krylon jobs - Leaves? Yes. Netting? Yes. Dirt color? Of course. Scales of Asmodeus? Seriously? They have 'em all - but garish cool factor is not my priority. The magic invisible rifle being carried by a fat orange guy - me - seems funny.

While poring over the color photos of Col. Cooper's greenish scouts and Krag, I remind myself that his stocks weren't exactly spray painted by a piker, so there's that caveat.

Therefore - I solicit opinions as food for thought - how would YOU refinish a black plastic, non-svelte stock? Stainless action and barrel remain stainless, Leupold remains black, Latigo sling remains saddle tan - these are the only initial limits.

Fire away, if you wish.

by Otony, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 21:15 (3851 days ago) @ brionic

I've always been partial to the tan stocks with black webbing that Bell & Carlson churn out. Actually, webbing over most colors looks nice to me.

by uncowboy, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 22:03 (3851 days ago) @ Otony

I would buy a dip kit and make it what you want. You tube shows a lot of people dip coating stocks and everything else.

Thx. I knew nothing of this except for those 1970s

by brionic @, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 23:04 (3851 days ago) @ uncowboy
edited by brionic, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 02:23

TV ads for "magic water art". I guess the industry has matured, from hippies then to gun/truck kooks today!

Excellent. Thx.

Me too,

by Jared, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 10:08 (3851 days ago) @ Otony

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt242/AgCatJHS/Jared8pt.jpg
[image]

This is my M7 .308. For a synthetic stock it doesn't look half bad. It is probably my favorite bolt rifle.

Nice shooting!

by brionic @, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 13:38 (3851 days ago) @ Jared

Good looking buck and rifle.

Partial to green or tan in that order. Likely due to the

by John K., Thursday, March 13, 2014, 11:28 (3851 days ago) @ brionic

green SSG stocks being the first synthetics I experienced.

John Norell's air-dry Moly Resin is easy to apply and available in black, green, and tan. There's also an air-dry cerakote.

Things like Duracote and spray paint mostly just suck for durability.

I hadn't thought of -69 green. Good suggestion.

by brionic @, Thursday, March 13, 2014, 21:32 (3850 days ago) @ John K.

Beside looking good, it also rings true to the distant heritage.

Thx, John.

RSS Feed of thread