Smith 25 hammer pivot pin...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, March 06, 2014, 18:55 (3858 days ago)

Local guy has a Smith 25-8 at what seems to be a good price. Set up for IDPA competition with a bobbed hammer, fiber optic front sight, chamfered chambers, and slicked up action.

The finish shows some wear and tear and he says the hammer picot pin is broken. He says it functions just fine, you just have to hold the hammer in place while replacing the side plate. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? Is it something that Smith would take care of, or is it something to just not really worry about because it's captured between the frame and side plate?

I sent a M27 in for that and Smith & Wesson did a great ...

by MR, Thursday, March 06, 2014, 19:59 (3858 days ago) @ Slow Hand

job on the installation and refinish (it was a nickel gun). Call Smith and get a rough price.

by Charles, Friday, March 07, 2014, 16:53 (3857 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I avoid like the plague firearms of any kind that have been slicked up, worked on or jacked with in any way. If I am offered one and I think I can beat on it's chest to bring it back to life, I offer about 1/2 of the unmessed with price. I have yet to buy one that way, as these folks think those modifications enhance the value, but I don't agree. I am happy for them to walk away still in possession of their firearm.

I would not buy the pistol in question unless I got it so cheap I could rebuilt it back to factory specs and still be a decent used price.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, March 07, 2014, 20:50 (3856 days ago) @ Charles

This one has been worked on by a known, local Smith 'smith. But yes, I normally avoid "bubba'ed" guns. I prefer to do the Bubba-ing myself!!

From a self acclaimed Bubba...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, March 07, 2014, 21:29 (3856 days ago) @ Slow Hand

AMEN Doug!

:-D

by Charles, Sunday, March 09, 2014, 11:53 (3855 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have had two handguns totally screwed by nationally known gunsmiths of great reputation whose names would be instantly recognized here. I won't post their names because to do so, will result in an acrimonious thread from their friends and supporters who will rush to defend them.

I tend to do as Charles does. There might be exceptions...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 20:28 (3852 days ago) @ Charles

The recently purchased (but as yet unpossessed) Webley MK IV .38 might be the only one.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread