A friends 1700 ac 7 gun deer lease went to $1850/gun this yr

by MR, Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 16:35 (3860 days ago)

and is going to $2000/gun in two years. They are in the Sonora, TX area and have literally hundreds if not thousands of deer. That includes on Axis doe per gun in addition to Five whitetail (no more that two bucks). When you drive the roads at night they are everywhere. But still... Is that what good leases are going for out there? I quit shooting deer some time back, and if I wanted to I would shoot one on the Rocking D. It's just sticker shock to even think of that price level.

In addition my friend puts out about 4500 pounds of corn a year and probably 2000 pounds of protein. Holy Moly that's expensive deer meat.

Around here, it went over $100/acre 10-15yrs ago.

by John K., Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 16:40 (3860 days ago) @ MR

And usually multi-year leases at that. Guys out of FL are lined up to rent anything available at that rate.

Interesting................

by Byron, Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 17:30 (3860 days ago) @ MR

Here in north eastern Kansas a mortgage on 80 acres of mixed timber and pasture with a nice 5 bedroom 4 bath 4000 square foot home runs around $1500 a month.

FYI we don't hunt the deer around here. We just go to where they are and shoot them.

Stuck out in paradise.

Byron

Interesting................

by uncowboy, Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 19:32 (3860 days ago) @ Byron

no more free land around here even the deer clubs pay to hunt farms during buck week. Lots of public land but more people than deer. I'm in NJ J.Michael

Here on long island they're going to pay $500K or so..

by cas, Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 20:03 (3860 days ago) @ uncowboy

...to have several thousand deer exterminated for population control.

They could do it for freeā€¦ open the hunting season up for about 6 months straight, and allow baiting. Heck, better than free, they could make heaps of money charging hunters for a "special permit" for this. But instead they'd rather spend ungodly sums of taxpayer money.

Here in the Florida Panhandle, if you advertised a lease....

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 08:37 (3859 days ago) @ MR

...like that you'd have to keep'em beat off your porch with a baseball bat.

I keep the lease paid up on 240 acres across the dirt road from our property just to keep the riff-raff out. Just got notice that it's a little over $1800 this year.

If you start thinking about deer meat in price per pound, you'd be WAY ahead of the game to buy a choice beef about once a year. :-)

Completely OT, but the Caverns of Sonora are great!

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Friday, March 07, 2014, 21:50 (3856 days ago) @ MR

We camped there one night in Dec 2012. Had a personal tour of the caves which are privately owned and operated. Listened to old school Country and Western music on a local radio station while we sat out and looked at the stars. Beautiful country. Too bad there are windmills going up all over it.

RSS Feed of thread