Interesting point of view from the Dalai Lama

by brionic @, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 18:59 (3862 days ago)

I share this here under the assumption that you all will understand that we - our family - are in a "seek enlightenment" phase that is not limited by our traditional beliefs. We are not turning our back on our heritage - but seeking to supplement, and thereby, strengthen our spirits.

Anyway, disclaimer aside, we rolled up to Minneapolis to hear remarks by the Dalai Lama at the Nobel Peace Conference. The conference is the only Nobel-associated program conducted outside Scandinavia, to my understanding. I will admit some trepidation. Grass eaters aplenty, and believe you me, that's a BIG understatement. The scent of patchouli hung heavily in the air.

So the Dalai Lama opened the conference with his keynote address, which was terrific. He truly is a simple monk, which, by my way of thinking, is a virtue. Although his remarks were thought provoking and enjoyable, I will include only this:

He was asked, "How can we love those who intend us harm?"

His response was that although they are our brother and sister humans, we must teach them a lesson as correction of their erroneous course, without hate but with concern for their interpretation of the lesson. Makes sense to me.

And he remarked on a conversation he'd enjoyed with a Cuban refugee who'd said that out of concern for his friends, loved ones, and nation, he hoped that "God would help Fidel Castro get into heaven as soon as possible."

I would have loved to have been there with you guys.

by MR, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 19:25 (3862 days ago) @ brionic

I agree with you. Additional enlightenment and exposure to alternate views can do nothing but enhance whatever beliefs a person may have. You don't have to accept everything you are exposed to, refusing exposure is accepting ignorance.

Thx Mark

by brionic @, Monday, March 03, 2014, 17:54 (3861 days ago) @ MR

It would have been fun, but lets just call it a draw and meet in AR with booze/music/guns/BS. :-D

That beats going to Mpls any day!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 06:19 (3860 days ago) @ brionic

Interesting point of view from the Dalai Lama

by ERSisk, Monday, March 03, 2014, 02:06 (3861 days ago) @ brionic

I just found out in my reading that I am a SIKH 1. One God 2. Treat everyone equally, with no regard to race, class, or gender. 3. live by the three tenants; Remember God, earn honestly, share with the needy. 4. avoid the five sins of ego; pride, lust, greed, anger, attachment. 5. Become baptized. 6. Keep the code of honor. 7. wear a small sword symbolic of defending the rights of all faiths. 8. Follow the commandments. 9. Recite daily prayer. 10. Take part in fellowship.

I can't tell you all the times I have thought "This is for

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 03, 2014, 08:26 (3861 days ago) @ brionic

your own good!" As I thrashed them...;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

... with a song in your heart and a smile on your lips.

by brionic @, Monday, March 03, 2014, 09:38 (3861 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I figure that driving up to the Mini Apple rather than scaling a Himalayan mountain to receive the teaching MAY have altered my mindset.

:-)...Sikhism: lots about them that I admire...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 03, 2014, 09:57 (3861 days ago) @ brionic
edited by Rob Leahy, Monday, March 03, 2014, 10:01

.Some interesting swordsmanship videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Shastarvidiya?feature=watch

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

That a very cool video, Looks like he is a great instructor

by Todd C @, Monday, March 03, 2014, 10:25 (3861 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

He is an interesting dude...

by Charles, Monday, March 03, 2014, 10:50 (3861 days ago) @ brionic
edited by Charles, Monday, March 03, 2014, 12:32

who has spent his life in study, contemplation and teaching. A fellow who does that should have something to say worth listening to. I have heard him speak as well.

But at the end of the day Buddhism is any of it's varieties is not religion but a form of self help philosophy. It is not God who will show the way, but man who will find the way, to whatever is out there. In the mind of Buddha, there is probably a God, but he is too busy with his own stuff to spend time messing around with mankind and their issues. We have to go it alone.

As a committed Christian, I find that basic approach unacceptable. Buddhism has something to say about understanding yourself, but very little about understanding God.

If all we have, is what we see in the mirror every morning, that is a scary thought to me. I don't want to have to go it alone, for that is a loosing battle. I want God actively on my side, not just rooting for me, but helping me day by day, minute by minute.

I don't need enlightenment, I need help!

by Paul ⌂, Monday, March 03, 2014, 14:14 (3861 days ago) @ Charles

Well stated.

by Who....me...??, Monday, March 03, 2014, 15:41 (3861 days ago) @ Paul

He is NOT a "dude"!

by Charles, Monday, March 03, 2014, 15:57 (3861 days ago) @ Who....me...??
edited by Charles, Monday, March 03, 2014, 16:04

He eats, pees and poops just like the rest of us. Being a high end Buddhist monk is not any higher in the human pecking order than anybody else.

I will listen carefully to what he or the Pope has to say, but I wont bow down before, kiss the ring of or in anyway declare them above the rest of the great unwashed.

Quite Right

by Jhenry, Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 17:11 (3860 days ago) @ Charles

And I have a suspicion he would agree with you.

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Monday, March 03, 2014, 17:42 (3861 days ago) @ Charles

Amen Charles, ME TOO. :-|

In many ways a Deist...

by bpjon, Monday, March 03, 2014, 18:28 (3861 days ago) @ Charles

...like many of our founding fathers. They acknowledged a Grand Architect, but believed the day to day matters of the universe were left to run themselves, according to His laws.

re: the Dalai Lama

by SubDoc, Monday, March 03, 2014, 17:42 (3861 days ago) @ brionic

In 1990, I was attending the University of Colorado in Boulder. My wife, daughter and I lived in Campus family housing which is located at 20th and Marine street. Our parking was located directly behind the Naropa Institute of Enlightenment, now called Naropa University.

One early fall afternoon, I go home from class and noticed all the parking was filled up with Mercedes Benz, Cadillac and Lincolns. As I watched two large limousines drove up and parked across the visitor spots. Our climbs a couple big guys, bodyguard types then Richard Gere then Cindy Crawford and another unknown guy. They walk over to the other limo and wait for the occupants to unass the limo. Again, two big dudes and a small well dressed guy and another small, shaven headed guy in robes.

I was pissed that I had no place to park and none of these vehicles belonged here. I called the number on the sign that warns about unauthorized parking. Sure enough 20-25 minutes and 3 beers later the tow trucks pull up and a huge beef ensues. The big, body guard guys are trying to convince the tow company not to tow because the vehicles belong to Gere and the Dali Lama.

The Lama was speaking at Naropa. Fortunately for me the vehicles were not towed.
Otherwise I may not have complete consciousness on my death bed!

RSS Feed of thread