John K

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 04:52 (3866 days ago)

First off, thanks for the help with registering on Silencer Talk.

Second, on your recently posted Ruger, did you F1 that as a thread on can or integral? If integral, did you list a barrel length? I'm getting ready to F1 the can for my .300 blk and I didn't know if I should build it as a separate suppressor then permanently attach it to my short barrel, bringing it up over 16", or have the paperwork show it as all one piece. If I build it as an integral, do I put a barrel length on the F1? My barrel is only 8 1/2", but with the can permanently attached, it'll be over 16. I'm guessing since it's permanent I should put the 16"+ measurement on both the barrel length and OAL?

Thanks for any advice.

Doug, I think that was Paul that helped with ST.

by John K., Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 09:51 (3866 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Second, on your recently posted Ruger, did you F1 that as a thread on can or integral? If integral, did you list a barrel length? I'm getting ready to F1 the can for my .300 blk and I didn't know if I should build it as a separate suppressor then permanently attach it to my short barrel, bringing it up over 16", or have the paperwork show it as all one piece. If I build it as an integral, do I put a barrel length on the F1? My barrel is only 8 1/2", but with the can permanently attached, it'll be over 16. I'm guessing since it's permanent I should put the 16"+ measurement on both the barrel length and OAL?

Thanks for any advice.

Mine are all Form 2s... have an 07/02 FFL.

That Ruger is registered as an integral. Listed the OAL of the receiver with tube attached and left the barrel length blank on the F2. With a stand-alone can, leave barrel length blank and list tube length. One aside here - stand-alone silencer length. Be sure and list maximum length as the ATF will allow some shortening for repairs and such, but will not allow lengthening as this constitutes "making" another tube. Replacement tubes require another stamp as the ATF has decided that is the fundamental part of the silencer. So for stand-alone cans, go as long as you think you might need on the form - final product can be shorter, but never longer.

With rifles, as you know, the barrel must be 16" or you are in SBR territory.

Couple of ways you can do this - you can build the can integral to this barrel with a permanent attachment to ensure 16" - blind pin/weld, etc. In this case, the 8.5" doesn't matter as the "barrel" is 16"+ for NFA purposes. In this case, "type of firearm" is "silencer" and "model" is "integral" or "INTEG" on eForms. "Barrel length" is blank, and "OAL" is the length of what we would call barrel assembly. (If you have a trust, you can file a Form 1 via eForms. Individuals cannot as they must mail in fingerprints and pics)

Second, you can build this as a stand-alone can. F1 it as a "silencer" and list OAL of the can itself. Avoid the SBR tax by making some sort of handguard/shroud and permanently attach that to the 8.5" barrel by blind pin/welding to keep the "barrel" 16"+. The ID of this tube would be slightly larger than the OD of your can.

Thanks to both of you!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, February 26, 2014, 14:22 (3866 days ago) @ John K.

I didn't know you had your SOT. Is it a business or just a pass to play with fun stuff? A good friend is an 07 as well, unfortunatly he moved a couple hours away. I learned a lot from him back when he was closer and I was single and had more time to hang out at his shop!

I already have a .30 cal can, but thought this I reveal would be neater than just sbr'ing my pistol and adding a stock. I have a 5" long slopover flash hider kind of like the old CAR-15 style. It threads on to just In front of my gas block. I am going to use it to lines everything up and then weld it to the barrel. My can slips India's of my YHM free float tube and makes it niut like having a 17" barrel. By using the slipover flash hider, it will be a reflex style can that while integral will look kind of like a thread on can to someone who knows what they are looking at.

I thought about doing the extension tube that my suppressor could slip down inside of, but decided to go with the I reveal
Style build. I still need to do some more research before I'm ready to fill out the F1. I just got my trust drawn up and notorized so I've got that part ready to go as soon as I get stuff figured out and the atf's website decides to co operate!

Thanks again for the advice!

Full-time business, if I can ever finish building my

by John K., Thursday, February 27, 2014, 08:12 (3865 days ago) @ Slow Hand

new shop. Paperwork is all complete. The entire process has been an epic adventure with the ATF being the easiest and fastest part. State and county had no idea how to license.

But the largest delay was construction - we have had more rain last year (75") than anyone can remember. No one wants to stick a concrete truck. Wife and I put the 40'x80' metal building up ourselves so that was slow also. Working on interior framing now with final wiring and HVAC still to complete.

Good idea on the old FH as part of the assembly. How do you plan on maintaining concentricity with the bore?

Did you know the Feds are considering requiring Trusts to have background checks and LE approval? The checks aren't a big deal, but in some counties LE approval is a no-go.

Full-time business, if I can ever finish building my

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, February 27, 2014, 18:41 (3865 days ago) @ John K.

Hard to believe the ATF wast he easy part!

We are working on getting our house market ready and looking for a place with some land. I hope a nice outbuilding will be a part of the deal! I've got a couple of buddy's who are machinists and hopefully they'll teach me some when I get a lathe and a mill eventually.

I was hoping the flash hider is concentric and just boring out the centers of two freeze plugs to align the tube and keep the baffles straight. A buddy has a 30 ton hydraulic press I plan on using to form the freeze plugs into baffles.

Honestly, I got the trust because I just bough a Sterling built on a DLO tube and hoped to have it sooner by using the eForms. I didn't find out until after I got the trust that a firm 4 has to go from an FFL to a person in order to eFile! It will make it easier as I don't have to go downtown and deal with fingerprints, photo, etc. Sign off isn't an issue in Indianapolis, it's just a pain to go to the city county building to deal with it!

The integral is my first form 1, but I doubt it'll be my last! So, using eForms for that will be speedier, and may lead to another sbr in the future!

RSS Feed of thread